FNRttC - could it be a club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've got a bit of a problem. The CTC's 5x5 rule is catching me out, and I've also been warned that the insurers might see everybody playing a part in the ride as a sort of leader, which would mean that I would have to register each and every one of the regulars as Rides Leaders - and, by extension, only CTC members could register as Rides Leaders, which would mean that LCC and BC members and those not members of any club (and that would include some of our most experienced and able riders) would be barred from assisting with the running of the ride. (Some of you - more of you than know about it - are already registered as Cheam and Morden Rides Leaders and your position is fine....).

There are ways forward - and I'm grateful to Rob Fuller of the CTC for his advice on this......

I could register each and every ride as an event. That could well mean that each and every one of you would have to sign a disclaimer prior to each ride. And it would mean that there would be notice in Cycle two or three months ahead of time, which would be a bit of a flop because people would be wanting to register in advance of the ride opening.........

or

I could start a club, and insist that all non-CTC members join a new FNRttC Club. This would mean that every rider would have to pay a quid at the beginning of the year, (whether they were members of the CTC or not), and all the non CTC/LCC/BC members could then join the CTC or LCC as affiliate members for £12. I'd have to ask about the Tandem Club and AUK. Anyway - this goes against the 'free ride' thing, which is a shame, and, given my inadequacies with spreadsheets would probably be regarded by those I have annoyed with my criticism of the CTC membership system as a petard-hoist of the first order. One benefit would be that people who affiliated to the CTC would get third party insurance, which from my point of view would be a good thing. Should 'B-52 Stu' bounce off a catseye and wipe out half a dozen Wayfinders they could all claim on his insurance...

To be frank either way is a pain in the butt. I don't mind (correction, I usually don't mind) the correspondence that goes with the job, particularly with new riders, but I do the list thing through gritted teeth, and the prospect of extra listery doesn't appeal BUT what I'm most concerned about is the reaction of the great number of people the ride relies on.

Anyway...your thoughts please......

oh, one thing. Techwizzery ideas are all well and good, but bear in mind who you're dealing with........

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's a bit of a shame, as it's rather refreshing that at the moment people can be welcomed on the ride with so few caveats and so little administrative faff, but I'd say the club option sounds better than the event one. I'm unclear as to whether non-CTC/LCC members would be obliged to do the £12 affiliate membership thing, or whether the quid gets them on the ride and that's an optional benefit? Personally if I'd persuaded a newbie to come along I'd bung you the quid on their behalf without troubling them about it, but if they have to start filling in forms it's a different matter.

U

User169

Could there be a vote on whether or not to convert the club into a charity?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It's a bit of a shame, as it's rather refreshing that at the moment people can be welcomed on the ride with so few caveats and so little administrative faff, but I'd say the club option sounds better than the event one. I'm unclear as to whether non-CTC/LCC members would be obliged to do the £12 affiliate membership thing, or whether the quid gets them on the ride and that's an optional benefit? Personally if I'd persuaded a newbie to come along I'd bung you the quid on their behalf without troubling them about it, but if they have to start filling in forms it's a different matter.
they wouldn't but I'd lean on them. I know that quite a few people have joined the CTC as a result of going on the ride, but I've never felt able to make a big point of it because £38 is a lot of money. £12 is more do-able.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Personal insurance issues and loyalties aside, would making the fnrttc a non-CTC and non-anything to the point ride, negate this predicament?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Personal insurance issues and loyalties aside, would making the fnrttc a non-CTC and non-anything to the point ride, negate this predicament?
it would mean that if I screwed up and you died your grieving relatives could sue me but they would have to make do with the proceeds of my selling Legg Villas. And I'd have to move in with RichP

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Could there be a vote on whether or not to convert the club into a charity?
there was always going to be one smartypants......it was just a matter of who

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Whatever happens people are going to be filling in forms. Not least your ob'd'nt s'v'nt..

Let's be fair. I've got away with it so far, but, insurance being insurance it would be unreasonable to expect that you could get it with no effort for ever. And Rob is intent on helping because (the veil of modesty is about to slip, peeps) There is no question about the high standards with which you run the FNRttC. I can honestly say that the rides are as well run as any I have seen or taken part in both within and external to, CTC. Equally your drive and commitment to sign up new members via the rides are well recognised.

It's simply this - the insurance is arranged around the traditional club run. We're a bit different.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

+1.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
it would mean that if I screwed up and you died your grieving relatives could sue me but they would have to make do with the proceeds of my selling Legg Villas. And I'd have to move in with RichP

Eeeek! Didnt realise it was that well regulated... kinda takes the enjoyment out of what is essentially our joy.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

If Susie's in the deal I'm more than willing to consider it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Is it not possible to advertise the ride 3 months in advance in Cycle with a later opening date for entries? Say, about 1 month ahead of the ride.

Top Bottom