FNRttC - new London startpoint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Underneath the horse's head
5321034236_a8679068e4.jpg
Horse sculpture at Marble Arch, London by zoer, on Flickr
(Utterly horrible - a fine match for the rest of the "art" around Hyde Park. A one-trick sculptor - he had a show at an opera festival in Sussex a couple of years ago)

Speaker's corner? Appropriate for a bunch of argumentative so-and-sos.

thom

____
Innovate or die !

Well maybe not. There's much to say for HPC but for the rides going east, another possibility close to More London is the Jubilee Market at Borough Market. It is completely covered:
SRA_20111006_104_4e9eacaa5b697.jpg

(stalls do get removed overnight I'm pretty sure). There are market toilets (although would need to check not locked). It is right beside London Bridge Train station, there are several great pubs (for those who require assistance), it sits beside the splendid Southwark Cathedral (and the Shard) and for the Southend ride you'd get to go over Tower Bridge at the start !

Perhaps another location is worth an experimentation for one of the smaller, longer and faster rides if going east. I can remember rides taking about an hour to get to London bridge with punctures and traffic diversions. It would help give more time for cycling outside built up areas.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
I think HPS is as close to ideal as you'll get, even though it's slightly inconvenient for those of use travelling up from the SE. Horseguards could be tricky - one LFGSS rider was apprehended by a baffled constable when he placed his bike upside down on the gravel, retreated to a suitable distance and took a photo of his bike for the brilliant Bicycle Tag of Bike game.
6843512470_effcda1b88_z_d.jpg

SUSPECT SEEN ACTING
SUSPICIOUSLY ON HORSE GUARDS PARADE
SUSPECT WAS SEEN TO DUMP A PUSH
CYCLE AND WALK OFF AND APPEARED TO
BE STANDING AND CROUCHING BEHIND THE BOLLARD
NO OFFENSES DISCLOSED, NO TRACE, ONE
SATISFACTORY STOP

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
nobody's passed comment on my NFT suggestion. Shelter, toilets, lighting, safe start, nice view, nearer to Kings Cross, and, given that you don't need a pre-meeting point, not that much further from Paddington or Marylebone.

Underneath the horse's head
5321034236_a8679068e4.jpg
Horse sculpture at Marble Arch, London by zoer, on Flickr
(Utterly horrible - a fine match for the rest of the "art" around Hyde Park. A one-trick sculptor - he had a show at an opera festival in Sussex a couple of years ago)

Speaker's corner? Appropriate for a bunch of argumentative so-and-sos.
I like that horsey! And the Bubble family, which was Davy's first modelling gig.
How about meeting at The Globe Theatre - surely a landmark steeped in heritage. "Wanna make a ride to the Coast? Join in here..." that sort of thing.

nobody's passed comment on my NFT suggestion. Shelter, toilets, lighting, safe start, nice view, nearer to Kings Cross, and, given that you don't need a pre-meeting point, not that much further from Paddington or Marylebone.
Why are toilets important when folk are busy pissing all over Clapham Common within the first tranche of a ride down South? And lo! It's dark in the park.
(I'm hopeless at the niceties of life...) :laugh:

rb58

Enigma
As Thom says, Borough Market might be good. Although it's very lively round that way on a Friday Night, which could be good and bad..... Me, I like HPC. It has gravitas.

As Thom says, Borough Market might be good. Although it's very lively round that way on a Friday Night, which could be good and bad..... Me, I like HPC. It has gravitas.
Take no notice of Thom - he's just 'grooming' as he lives about a brake block away from the proposed start point at Borough. (Unless he's volunteering 'all round his' for pre-ride refreshments, of course!)

StuartG

slower but further
Nice thing about HPC is we only get disturbed by a few errant late cyclistas on their way home who sensibly show no interest in the gathering horde.

Whereas on the South Bank we would be amongst people even tourists which would inevitably mean having to react with live human beings. Some of us are not ready for that. Stick to our own, stick with HPC. Toilets are for wimps.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
toilets are good. Let me tell you.

I'm struck by Thom's point regarding the rides to the east. Whitstable would be cleverererer from the South Bank (I'm not too persuaded by Borough Market because it's mostly locked down at night)

Wobblers

Euthermic

For the benefit of us provincial types, just what is a NFT?

And does it bite?

Top Bottom