FNRttC - new London startpoint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
I like HPC. It has both grandeur and just a slight tinge of eccentricity about it. And it's where No 1 London is, so if we're riding from London to the coast we can only make that claim if we start from there.

I like HPC. It has both grandeur and just a slight tinge of eccentricity about it. And it's where No 1 London is, so if we're riding from London to the coast we can only make that claim if we start from there.
Sound reasoning, Rob. None of this etheral, airy-fairy stuff that is knocking about. No:1 London. It has the "Je ne sais ou" about it. :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The No. 1 London argument does it for me.

Though we could hack a lot of folk off by starting at Charing? Don't be cross, from whence all is measured or by gathering outside the Downing Street gates (tee hee) The embarrassing safety talk would go down a storm there.

The only setting which has the proper grandeur for a ride led by dellzeqq is York Minster.

If we could either remove it to That London, or do all the FNRs to say, Hull, Hornsea, Bridlington, Scarborough, Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay, Redcar etc (and a cheeky cross-Pennine dash to Morecambe ;) ), we'd have the answer! :thumbsup:

ChrisBailey

nobody's passed comment on my NFT suggestion. Shelter, toilets, lighting, safe start, nice view, nearer to Kings Cross, and, given that you don't need a pre-meeting point, not that much further from Paddington or Marylebone.

As somebody who comes into Waterloo, the NFT would be perfect, but I have been no issues with HPC.

That's what we in the grammar police always say, 'Cherchez le vin et la femme.'
Well, it is a good 'spot', Jen. but curiosity killed the pleonasticat and, apparently, Greg has no need to blame it on Helen and 'her' (as if) wine. :smile: Shakespeare, Smollet, Defoe, Defriends, Debacle etc - everyone was at it! Little Miss Muffet had a whey with words, or was that Kurds? I dunno - it has been a long day and it is time to finish.:rain: Wherever - it needs to be somewhere rainproof I reckon, as it is as black as Newgate' Knocker here in N.Lon.
Here.

martint235

Dog on a bike
1849686 said:
Provincial? You're Scottish.
Yeah whole different country. We'd never allow you to be a province. Our provinces have style and class! Just look at Lancashire :thumbsup:

On the topic. I like HPC but I could also see the NFT working, there's also an arch further down towards Waterloo where we might get in the way of fewer people but then you'd have to navigate the Waterloo roundabout to get east.

U

User10571

.....Though we could hack a lot of folk off by starting at Charing? Don't be cross, from whence all is measured .....
Popular misconwhatsit. Unless I'm mistaken road distances are measured from the statue of Charles I (which used to be located at the site of the Elanor Cross) on the south side of Trafalgar Sq # Whitehall.
As attested by Adrian upthread.

[QUOTE 1849887, member: 1314"]First choice, The Mirch Marsala in Tooting!

If we are north of the river I like the idea of Smithfield Market. Easy enough to get to from Paddington, Kings Cross, Euston (left and left again). And it's minutes from the Jerusalem (who have excellent toilets to go with their pork sandwiches).[/quote]
As much as the thought of pre-ride welsh rarebit from st John fills me with the deepest of joy, I have to say hpc gets my vote. It's kinda iconic now.

thom

____
There are parts around the Tower of London that offer spectacular starting points too but I think are low on loo options so no worse or better than HPC.
1) Tower Hilll Terrace on the West side of the Tower - slight downside is accessing the main road. There is a pedestrian crossing that can be used to stop the traffic safely though. But there is ample space, the Tower, the river etc. but worth checking because I can't be sure there is rain cover. Indeed, please note Legge's Mount (item 29) which I presume is where Simon keeps his Colnago when out of the country and is just accross the moat from said meeting point.
2) In front of the Guoman Tower Hotel, on the river, just east of Tower Bridge at the entrance to St Katherine's dock, views galore. Rain cover available under Tower Bridge and a couple of places around the Hotel. There's a cunning way to cross the Highway safely if going to Southend.
There are plenty of nearby wateringholes willing to take your money if you show up slightly early.

Yes I have a cheeeky vested interest in Borough, but it is characterful and there are 2 areas with plenty of space which definitely don't get locked up. My feeling is it's not too rowdy there really. Probably similar to anywhere on the southbank, like NFT, which is also good. There are public loos in the station if the market's do end up locked.

Like I said before, it might be interesting just to give an eastern location a go for one of the smaller speedy rides. I don't think you really know how things pan out until you try.

For a map of London loos, look no further... :
http://www.toiletmap.co.uk/

thom

____
Yeah whole different country. We'd never allow you to be a province. Our provinces have style and class! Just look at Lancashire :thumbsup:

On the topic. I like HPC but I could also see the NFT working, there's also an arch further down towards Waterloo where we might get in the way of fewer people but then you'd have to navigate the Waterloo roundabout to get east.
I think that roundabout can be avoided - just go along Belvedere Road/Upper Ground and turn onto Stamford St at your convenience.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
nobody's passed comment on my NFT suggestion. Shelter, toilets, lighting, safe start, nice view, nearer to Kings Cross, and, given that you don't need a pre-meeting point, not that much further from Paddington or Marylebone.

Well, I really like HPC. If it is supposed to be nearer to King's Cross - why not meet directly at King's Cross. After the new ticket hall has been openend, the square between King's Cross and St Pancras is quite nice. However, it's rather far to Paddington, of course, Not so sure about the safe start as well.

Maybe Lincoln's Inn Fields? There's a loo, at least (perhaps closed at night?), but no shelter.

Top Bottom