FNRttC Southwold - Now Closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Email sent earlier politely withdrawing.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Olaf S (team fast)
Gordon P (team fast leader)
Paul Rd (team fast)
Sonia W
Stuart A (team fast)
Ian At (team fast)
Cate R
Eddie C (team fast)
Howard K
John K
Susie F
Martin B (team fast)
Andy M (team fast)
Simon L
Mary L (team fast)
Tacey L

if all nine of team fast get to the beach together, one of them will be left on the beach to go over in the second crossing. Don't let the words 'team fast' worry you. The ride from Maldon to Mersea is pan flat, and I know exactly what people are capable of. I'll text ahead to the ferryman with an ETA from Maldon.

the bad news is that showers are forecast for the latter part of the ride. The good news is that the wind is now forecast as southerly rather than northerly.

E-mail sent out...........

dear all

The weather forecast is still all over the shop. The bad news is that both the Met Office and the Norwegians are predicting showers for the latter part of the ride, but the good news is that the wind predictions are now southerly rather than northerly.

My strong advice is to wear light, flexible layers, and remember that, notwithstanding the showers, it will probably be a good deal warmer in the morning than at night - so you'll need to take one layer off. The temperature may go down to ten degrees beyond Maldon, which is cooler than of late.

For what it's worth I'll probably start with a long sleeved vest and a close fitting long sleeved jacket with a lightweight waterproof rolled up in my bottle cage. If it gets cool I'll put the waterproof on over the top.

You don't need a lock on the ride - we stay with the bikes the entire time. Bring at least two inner tubes, and if you use anything other than Presta valves make sure you have a pump.

Get rid of every ounce of weight you don't need. Mudguards, racks, have them off. Check and double check your tyres, spokes and brakes. Remember to put fresh batteries in your lights.

It's 48 miles to the first stop at Tesco in Maldon, so bring a drink and some energy food - energy bars, cheese, chicken, ham are all good, particularly in combination.

At Maldon we'll split in to two groups. Gordon will lead the faster group across country to Mersea (65 miles) to meet the first boat across the River Colne. He and Andy will then take them up to Harwich (84 miles) to meet the especially-arranged 8.15 ferry to Felixstowe. Andy will then lead them to the breakfast stop at Felixstowe Ferry (89 miles). The not quite so fast group will follow on, catching the second boat across the Colne, making our way up to Harwich and taking the especially arranged 9.00 ferry to Felixstowe. We'll all meet up at Felixstowe Ferry, and, having had breakfast, cross the River Deben together at about 11.00, getting to Southwold at about 14.00.

This is a long ride, but do-able. Jenny and Susie arrived at Southwold in high spirits last week, despite a headwind for the last thirty miles - not least because they were carrying next to nothing. It's down to teamwork - I'll be keeping the ride together as much as possible, keeping the speed down at the front. That may be a little frustrating for the speedier riders, but it will probably mean that we get there earlier as a result.

See you on Friday night

Simon

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A word to the penny-wise - last Friday we looked at train times, and could have bought £15 singles to London from Darsham if we'd committed to a particular train. Instead we spent £39 each on walk-up fares. It would have been cheaper to buy a single for two different trains...

We got the 1549 without too much difficulty with the help of a cab from Southwold. The 1749 would have been easy even riding back to Darsham.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
As I am in Vienna, I assume the Martin B of team fast is one different from myself?
it is indeed. Martin B hails from Norwich and is a tricyclist. Except this time he will be a bicyclist

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If we hate tandems this much, how much do we hate tricycles?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
If we hate tandems this much, how much do we hate tricycles?
hence Martin's conversion to two wheels. In fairness it would be tricky to get a trike on the landing craft

Top Bottom