FNRttC Southwold - Now Closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
My greatest ride ever. Possibly because it was my most feared one.

When I booked I thought Southwold was somewhere south of Dunwich. Wrong! 122 miles matched LonJog day 1 but then I was fit and young and had half a dozen training tons under the belt. This year I haven't done a single one and many of my rides were short and slow as I trained up my better half.

The first bit to Stock was easy. But then I usually do that by Brompton so that said little - unlike the lady who was not impressed by our self congratulatory conversation so we obediently 'sodded off' to Maldon in praise of Tescos. DZ was obviously hallucinating by this stage as he asked if I would like to join Team Fast. TC with no spokes is faster than me!

And so that delightful amble through the Tolleshunts to Mersea Island. Its well worth doing in the light. If only we could arrange to do Brightlingsea to Harwich in the dark!

The Suffolk Alps were a surprise to me and my OS map. It led to a never ending tussle between the tandem and me - overtaking them on ups and being crushed on the downs. But fatigue refused to come. Mind you true speed didn't either so I troubled neither TEC Adrian nor the upfront guys and guyesses.

Southwold was a disappointment. Only because I felt I might have another 20 miles in the legs which would have made it my longest ride ever. But when the choice is n+1 pints of Adnams or trying to keep in touch with Charlie on a roll back to Ipswich - the sensible choice was taken. Sensible ... well thanks to DZ for the last major part of the trip - leading the way out of town. He said there was only one road but it looked like many. As Suse, Dell & TC peeled off to party the night - I and (I'm very sorry but remembering which foot to put down next left no room for names) sped off to Darsham Station. 8 miles at speed (ahem my speed) remarkably clears the head of drink but replaces it with not much else. I had a great chat with goodness knows who about goodness knows what while we waited for the train. I slept to Ipswich. He slept to London so that didn't add much.

Finally I bailed at Stratford for my first journey on the northern section of the Overground. Oh what a party was going on. Half a dozen with trick bikes (red chains, golden tyres ...) fancy dress with added music - who needs to club when you have an Oyster card?

Transferred to the Southern section of the Overground from Canonbury. Same trains, different clientele. Beggars not the Beautiful. Got home just before ten. Set off the burglar alarm. 134 on the clock. Very happy. Thank you Dell. Thank you Gordon for keeping faith with the young.

Stonking ride. Team 2 prepare for heaven via Romford.

BigGee

The Brightlingsea to Harwich leg seems to be being voted the least popular part of the trip. Partly I am sure due to the headwind and everyones need to get some food on board by this stage.

The alternative routes into the town are along the bypass A604, which we had to do by necessity last year due to being left high and dry on the beach, but I can assure you is an even worse experience, especially into the wind.

The best route in is along the Stour valley, basically following the railway line past mistley, wrabness and then into town via ramsey village. It is a ride much more pleasing on the eye, but maybe not quite so good on the legs as it would be 2-3 miles further. if we had the time though, I'd still rather go that way!

wanda2010

Guru
@StuartG I may need to borrow your legs on Friday as I've not been on a bike in 7 weeks, so am a little concerned about stamina although I'm hoping my 3 times per week running sessions will have some value. :rolleyes:

PaulRide

Always at opposition
2629508 said:
I'll wish you luck with that one.

Thank you Adrian. I suspect that my ability to do the speedy stints last year was largely down to the valiant work of Big Michael who barged the wind out of our way to ensure we got to the beach hours before the ferryman did.

Eddie_C

Über Member
@srw's reference to Team Mad (Southwold to Ipswich) was prescient - if only I had known! it was hard & I don't think I will repeat the experience this week: I am investigating Darsham options! Apart from that it was as others have said a glorious ride & I am very happy to have the honour of doing it to Fridays in succession. And I am glad to have been one of the 4 in Team Mad - I just don't want to do it again.

Gordon - I've a ticket from Darsham to connect with the 1843 at Ipswich. I was planning to ride back to Ipswich so happy to swop tickets.
Eddie

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the weather forecast was so dire last night that I went to bed contemplating writing to people and asking them if they wanted it put back to September 27th.

It's now changed completely, and while the Met Office is saying some rain, Metcheck is promising about a millimetre, the Norwegians are telling us that it will be dry.

(Don't mention the headwind, Simon, don't mention the headwind...)

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Gordon - I've a ticket from Darsham to connect with the 1843 at Ipswich. I was planning to ride back to Ipswich so happy to swop tickets.
Eddie
Well I need no further persuasion: thank you.
I assume you have read comments above regarding Team Mad? but then you are one of the young set....:hello:
If you have taken enough food on board & don't have to stop in Leiston you will be fine. But there's the rub. There must be shops in Southwold selling food but they were not obvious.
One option is the Village Store in Westleton. Comments above about it closing refer to a 1 to 2 p.m. lunch hour; it was open again when we went past going south. When I went in my mind was focused on a fat ice cream but I think they did have some other things....

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Well I need no further persuasion: thank you.
I assume you have read comments above regarding Team Mad? but then you are one of the young set....:hello:
If you have taken enough food on board & don't have to stop in Leiston you will be fine. But there's the rub. There must be shops in Southwold selling food but they were not obvious.
One option is the Village Store in Westleton. Comments above about it closing refer to a 1 to 2 p.m. lunch hour; it was open again when we went past going south. When I went in my mind was focused on a fat ice cream but I think they did have some other things....
There was a Tesco (if you must) Express just to the left of the archway entrance to the brewery.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there's a Co-op. Cheap Chablis.

the forecasts are looking good

Last edited:
Top Bottom