FNRttC: The Tonbridge Trundle, Ride Report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not a ride to the coast. Not on Friday. Not at night.

As per the current rules we were limited to 6 for this ride, starting from Tonbridge. I chose to ride there, over the Downs and via Toy's Hill. That part of the ride was scotch mist mizzly weather so I was damp on arrival. The six of us set off and immediately I was pleased to learn a nicer way out of Tonbridge than my usual route.

A nice flat route followed via Golden Green, Yalding and Headcorn. Plenty of oast houses to admire. Lots of nice lanes. I know this area moderately well, so every now and then I'd have a flash of recognition "I know this road" and then it would be on to new (to me) lanes again. The rain started and got progressively harder until I decided that I'd better put my rain jacket on. We stopped. I put my jacket on and as if by magic the rain stopped.

Lunch was the Bell in Smarden ( https://www.bellsmarden.co.uk/ ) where we had a table outside booked. We didn't need the big umbrella over the table as it was now dry. It's a very nice pub with good food, and very generous portions. Followed by a return through equally pleasant lanes via Marden and Golden Green. I had promised to ride with Mark back to Sevenoaks via Hadlow, Plaxtol and Seal, as I know the way. But when the time came for the ride to split, and Ross pointed out that Tonbridge was only 2 miles away, the thought of the hill by Plaxtol church, and the temptation of an easy ride to Tonbridge was too much so I'm afraid I left Mark to his own navigational devices.

My first Fridays ride in over a year. Which, incidentally was my last non-solo ride. An excellent Saturday out.

Last edited:
Bell must have changed.
If I remember correctly, went there years ago on a lead ride (not cchat) and the portions were rather small/nouvelle - rode away needing to do some serious snack munching.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I rode around this area on holiday last year, stopped in Tonbridge and Sevenoaks. Really nice countryside, although a lot more hilly than I anticipated Kent being!

Kent has got some really nasty hills. Hildenborough Hill to Sevenoaks will have you climbing for 6 miles.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
It does have some nice flat bits too! Here's the profile of my ride on Saturday. The lumpy bits at the start are me getting to Tonbridge. The pointy one is Toys Hill. The nice flat bits on the right are the actual ride.
View attachment 542111
I'm sure threy were I just didnt find them :laugh:. I did two rides, one was 32 miles and 2600 feet of climbing, the other was 37 miles and over 3,000 feet of climbing. I remember doing a nasty climb called Hubbards hill.

rb58

Enigma
I'm sure threy were I just didnt find them :laugh:. I did two rides, one was 32 miles and 2600 feet of climbing, the other was 37 miles and over 3,000 feet of climbing. I remember doing a nasty climb called Hubbards hill.
Ah yes, Hubbards. That's a cracker, but not the worst. One of many up the Greensand Ridge.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Didn't Catford hold their legendary hill climb comp near Sevenoaks? There are some serious hills around there. They take you up. Which is why they're called the "Downs". No, me neither.

rb58

Enigma
York Hill
I remember the first time I went up Yorks Hill. I hadn't realised how bad it was going to be otherwise I wouldn't have gone when it was damp. There are two sections where if you sit back the front wheel starts to lift and if you sit forward you lose traction on the rear wheel. Hysterical.
I might go and have another go in the dry.

Top Bottom