FNRttC FNRttC to Shoreham, April 19 2024. Ride report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Simon would be delighted, I'm sure, that his mudguard opinions continue to reverberate around the forum years after his departure, stirring up debate.

A trip down memory lane .... https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/can-i-take-my-mudgaurds-off-my-bike-yet.125619/page-4#post-2410978

which is ironic, given reverberating mudguards appeared to be a pet hate of his :okay:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
On my first ride with the Fridays I remember riding behind the aforementioned leader, he was, in my opinion, committing a more heinous infraction. He had a floppy saddle bag, that was flapping about, rattling and keeping me awake.

hatler

Guru
One thing I did notice, which perhaps the more regular riders wouldn't have, is that the number of riders with luggage is waaaay bigger than was the norm when I was a regular presence. (Not only more luggage, but bigger luggage.)

At least, that's my perception. Anyone else think that ?

If so, what's going on there ?

Was it perhaps the forecast of cold, so people having panniers to dump extra clothing in ?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If there's a cold or wet forecast, i bolt on a rack and take a pannier of extra layers, sometimes a change of clothes for the morning. Also an impressive qty of snacks.

In better weather conditions, i travel light.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
One thing I did notice, which perhaps the more regular riders wouldn't have, is that the number of riders with luggage is waaaay bigger than was the norm when I was a regular presence. (Not only more luggage, but bigger luggage.)

Was it perhaps the forecast of cold, so people having panniers to dump extra clothing in ?

Well, when ride leading my panniers' contents include (but not limited to): first aid kit, tool kit, food, extra layers such as a jacket, leg warmers, spare socks and gloves (to swap out if rained on), dry bags, sunblock and lighter jersey if riding back, and allowing space for items taken off such as LED armbands. Rider list.
Not to forget, the cuddly toy, a 🐠 that periodically escapes.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Also hi-viz. There used to be a distinct lack of it a good few years back, now custard abounds.

Oh yes, bromptons too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The hill that ate that derailleur on Friday night wasn't in a residential area, but the water sluicing down the road had a particular whiff of sewage that made me glad to have mudguards!

A lot of the did not finish people on PBP 2007 fell ill due to farm run off coating their water bottles. Those with mudguards had a much higher finish rate,

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A lot of the did not finish people on PBP 2007 fell ill due to farm run off coating their water bottles. Those with mudguards had a much higher finish rate,

I've never been tempted to use the third set of bottle bosses on my Tripster for that reason. Stem bags are much better for that...

I don't think you should make hasty conclusions, as I observed a wide variety of .. er ... approaches! I had one of the biggest bags*, but it was full of bulky-light clothing, and it's the bag I happened to commute with that day! I actually planned to ride home, potentially through a warmer afternoon => space needed for discarded clothing.

Others certainly had very little - perhaps given all the comments about the cold, they could perhaps have brought more clothes? Hmm?? :P

*I had (unused) tools+spares, enough clothes to stay warm during stops, and waiting for the train home. Plus it didn't contribute to any mechanical, and I often overtook 20 riders on climbs, so the weight was no problem. God I'm awesome! 😇

rb58

Enigma
I've only did three FNRttC last year I think, but I have noticed a change in the outlook of many riders. Back in the heyday it felt like there was a little more of a 'devil may care' philosophy from the core of regular riders (and it was quite a big group back then). We'd meet, ride, and deal with anything that cropped up as we went. Probably throw and extra layer in the back pocket, and maybe some jelly babies. Nowadays, riders seem to plan everything to the finest detail and carry a lot of stuff that is probably not really needed. I generalise massively of course, it's just a feeling I get observing those around me.

Likewise in the old days of the CycleChat Sunday London Rides we used to meet at HPC often without a clue of where we were going or what route we'd take. Then we'd get lost and get home at dusk with 120 miles on the clock and a huge smile. Nowadays (and I include myself here) we seem to plan much more and have probably lost something in the process. Perhaps it relates to a more risk averse outlook we see in society generally.

Top Bottom