Can I take my mudgaurds off my bike yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Except for my Pegoretti, which never goes out in the rain, my bikes have mudguards year-round.

hoopdriver

Guru
not at all. The person behind can always drop off a few metres. I discourage the use of mudguards on our rides
http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/p/its-most-definitely-about-bike.html
Now why on earth would anyone DISCOURAGE the use of mudguards? I could imagine - barely - the idea of someone taking a neutral view and not actively encouraging them, but to discourage their use? What on earth for? Even if you don't give a damn about getting muddy yourself, or spraying road gunk over each other, surely somewhere along the line you're going to give a damn about your own drivetrain. Mudguards do more than keep your clothes clean, they protect your drivetrain and frame as well - and they do a damn good job of it, and can and do prolong its useful life.

screenman

Legendary Member
not at all. The person behind can always drop off a few metres. I discourage the use of mudguards on our rides
http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/p/its-most-definitely-about-bike.html

Well either you have very little mechanical skills or are having a laugh in your blog about mudguards working loose.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well either you have very little mechanical skills or are having a laugh in your blog about mudguards working loose.
if you've sat by the side of the road at three in the morning, watching the TECs trying to re-fashion a mudguard, and knowing that sixty or more people are waiting up the road.........

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I hate them but need them when temps are below 5c anything above and they off in a flash. Do not care about being wet and warm but cold and getting very wet kills the ride for me.

hoopdriver

Guru
if you've sat by the side of the road at three in the morning, watching the TECs trying to re-fashion a mudguard, and knowing that sixty or more people are waiting up the road.........
I've ridden thousands and thousands and thousands of miles and never had a problem with a mudguard, not a one, so you'll pardon me if I find this worry of yours just a trifle odd...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've ridden thousands and thousands and thousands of miles and never had a problem with a mudguard, not a one, so you'll pardon me if I find this worry of yours just a trifle odd...
well I've organised almost a hundred group rides and I've seen mudguards do all kinds of wayward things, so you'll pardon me if the advice on the blog stays as it is.

Top Bottom