FNRttC York to Hull 27th April 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it was a dead hare, which was tragic.

Susie had never ever seen a hare (I've only seen two), and here it was - her first. Corpsed. Very sad

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I once had a conversation with a former TV naturalist about this. As long as the farmers haven't been out and about with their shotguns (and I suspect the increased incidence of dead badgers on the roads is a result of government-induced TB frenzy), the amount of roadkill is a very good guide to the robustness of a population. The more dead animals you see, the more animals there are around to be killed.

Hares are naturally pretty shy, so you're much more likely to see a dead one than a live one.

Incidentally, just like on this ride we disturbed a couple of deer (fallow I think) on the run in to Emsworth. I'd put money on there being no deer on the way into Southend.

I once got to play silly commuter racing with a hare along a lane near Huggate when I was riding home from my mum's in Pocklington, the long way going up onto the Wolds. We kept pace for probably 20 or 30 yards, although you couldn't get much of a tow off him, and then the utter cad cheated and went off-road.

ladyjulian

Fantastic ride in good company. It was great meeting forummers I'd not met before, and catching up with all the fab people I've not seen for a year due to working at the nut mines.

Extra special huge thanks to User10119 for opening the Den and supplying tea to the power of infinity, macaroni cheese, showing me easy cheese sauce recipe (never again shall I bugger about with roux) and the opportunity for swift kippage before the ride.

It was totally flat until the last bit whereupon three hills made themselves known. Kudos to TGL for getting up them all at the end of a long ride on fixed. I loved the ride over the Humber Bridge, although there was a slight breeze I have to say.

The ride ended with a huge piggy-based fry-up and beer. This is basically the best possible way to end a night ride.

I got home eventually (train, train and then train because it was pissing down and ICBA to ride back from Kings X) and entertained myself by showing Charlotte the interesting noises my knees make, before collapsing with curry and a fillum. Looking forward to next week's jaunt to Southend.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
It would be a great shame if this ride ceased to exist for want of numbers. It's a throughly enjoyable trip, with some interesting features, all of which have been noted hitherto in this thread. That long shopping street through Hessle was a little bit sad and depressing-looking.
Mind you, there were some :eek: when trying to describe the ride to some colleagues at the radio station last night when I said we were riding beside some huge dykes.

re: Roadkill - I too thought it was a deer, from the size of it.

I hardly recognised Vernon at first, with(out) the weight he'd lost. Well done, and to MmmMartin, too for that effort.
I was full of good intent to ride back to Doncaster, but I was too tired, and with the effects of yellow beer, and Rebecca talking me out of it, I passed on that option in the end.

Thank you all.

Sorry for delay in posting - everything's been said already I think but I would like to add my support for this particular ride. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely do it again next year.

As for a proper ride report... I know how much DZ likes to see these but unfortunately, after years of writing gig reviews (and resisting the pressure to resume doing them), I'm a bit burnt out on that kind of writing. But I very much want to thank DZ for a superb night out as always. This is a ride that tells a story - and it's a very different one from those told by the southern rides - which makes it all the more interesting and enjoyable.

I was very pleased to find that I never once struggled with my fitness or fatigue or bike problems. I was warm enough, dry enough, fit enough! Everything went beautifully and I enjoyed every minute. The only niggle was my still-complaining Achilles tendon. However, I've been under instructions from my physiotherapist for several weeks now to find a way to (and I quote) "fatigue the hell out of it" (i.e. push the calf muscle past its ability to spasm/tighten up). This ride marked the first time I've managed to achieve that! :ohmy: :rolleyes: :smile: I could barely climb the stairs at Cafe Pasaz at the end of it all and my leg did give me a lot of backtalk yesterday but today seems to be better. I see my physio again tonight. Fingers crossed I'll be commuting the rest of the week and will find the Southend ride a stroll in the park. So to speak.

My total "mileage" came to 120km - first 100+km ride since injuring the Achilles in January.

Mice, you were the highlight of the ride for me. It was a hoot to see the look of excitement and disbelief when I offered you a ride on the 'Woodruff' and the pleasure that was so evident in your expression when you got back from your jolly on it.

The transmission is a Gates belt drive system and can be used with Rohloff, Shimano Alfine and single speed bikes. I'll have to look up the Schindlehauer brand.

The ride itself was a more successful one for me than the 2011 in that I didn't have to get off and push on any of the climbs. The low gearing of the Woodrup contributed to the ease of climbing aided and abetted by me being three stones lighter than last year's ride. Next year I will be svelte and keen and able to participate in some of the London based rides.​

The grin on my face is still there! In fact, I worried it might fade so I have just been back to Selfridges for another testride of the Schindelhauer (although not the unique one off edition :eek: User10571 was referring to) 11.5k is the sort of speed I aim for not the amount of money I have to spend on, well, anything. It wasnt anything like as fabulous as your :girl: Windrup :girl: Vernon (see how I have progressed and no longer call it Windruff!) but it was pretty awesome and that Gates belt drive system is fantastic. I have always hoped to have a single speed/fixed so gave that a go. Really lovely - was so funny to see my legs moving at the same consistent pace! And I managed up a little hill (I use that word loosely). However, budget and storage space are extremely limited and I like my bicycles to be usable on most rides not just for pootling on the flat so have moved to the version where its "single speed because you dont change gear"...!! Am looking at an 8-speed. The only thing you have to do with a Gates belt drive system is clean it. Must have been designed by Ianrauk...! ^_^ And the name of the concession in Selfridges is Bike Republic. (Do I hear you groan oh no, not Bike Republic?!) :headshake: I liked them because they had a good mix of bicycles and some unusual and interesting accessories including luggage made from inner tubes. But that's just me so please try and stay polite if I have just named your least favourite bicycle peeps!!

Anyway, back to York - Hull 2012. I just loved it and reading what others are saying I am not the only one. So please DZ do keep York Hull in your repartie for 2013 FNRttC List if you can. How can we find you some locals for recces and increasing numbers I wonder..... Any suggestions lovely Crinkly Lion? And where's that fabulous Admin Chap when you need him...!!:hello: (Too busy by half, I suspect. :cry:).

In the meantime MrVernonSir I look forward to seeing you on a ride again very soon - London based or other.

Mice

Top Bottom