FNRttK 2015 - Saturday May 2nd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Night was great. Most of morning was great. Then I woke up in an Ostend hospital. Yes, I know, if it was going to happen it would to me. On the last stretch and all..... Tramline again, apparently. Don't remember a thing about it. Had CT and ECG scans, in overnight for observation. Not had any feedback on how those went but I haven''t had any bad news so I'll assume it's all good.
Most importantly the bike is OK. Eurostar will try and fit me on...
More to follow when I'm home.

Night was great. Most of morning was great. Then I woke up in an Ostend hospital. Yes, I know, if it was going to happen it would to me. On the last stretch and all..... Tramline again, apparently. Don't remember a thing about it. Had CT and ECG scans, in overnight for observation. Not had any feedback on how those went but I haven''t had any bad news so I'll assume it's all good.
Most importantly the bike is OK. Eurostar will try and fit me on...
More to follow when I'm home.

Hell, GWS. On the plus side if you are going to have an accident Belgian healthcare is generally excellent. If you need amything let me know.

StuAff

Oh dear, Stu! Get well soon, fingers crossed you'll be back on the bike soon!
En route to Pompey, eventually...Discharged this morning, get 11-something train from Ostend for Brussels. Train stops at Brugge- bomb alert in Gent. This is after I've paid Eurostar an inordinate sum for a new ticket for the 1452 to London. Train leaves Brugge 36 mins late, despite security staff-induced stress and delays I make the 1452, just. Rode back to Waterloo about a minute late for one train, so on the stopping service.
Neurologist advised rest. That went to pot already..

StuAff

8H99gzp.png

No ride reports? After over a day? Perhaps it's to do with me. They don't know what to say. Well, I really am in the (CycleChat) room...

Before the ride report, let's get all the crashing stuff out of the way, shall we...?
I have absolutely no idea what happened or where it happened. Well, on the outskirts of Ostend somewhere or other. Apparently, a tramline was involved. Sorry, Els, third year in a row that that's caused problems...Let me be quite clear on this- this ride is not cursed, it's blessed. But with the odd spot of really bad luck. Garmin data is not terribly helpful in pinpointing where I crashed, and my mind has firmly drawn a veil over the issue. I remember riding along the canal that leads to Ostend, for at least part of it, and the next thing I know I'm in hospital. Between that...nothing. If you're going to have an accident in the Ostend area, AZ Damiaan will look after you. But I'd rather you didn't have the accident in the first place. I had a CT scan, when I was still out (first time I've ever seen the reason the right side of my body is the way it is), though I don't think that actually showed any damage from the accident, as opposed to my birth, and an ECG (came back normal...a relative term I suppose...). A few scrapes and bruises, actually not as bad as last year's Incident. Though the head injury was obviously a different matter. Neurologist's diagnosis was cerebral commotion. Or, 'bang on the head causes hurty brain'. She recommended rest, as I said above. Eurostar and some **** person at Gent had other ideas....

Dr Van Diest had kept me in for observation, understandably, so that borked the booked return on Eurostar. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have altered the booking ASAP, extra fee £30 instead of an new ticket, but I didn't know when I'd get the all clear to go home and I probably wasn't thinking straight anyway. So an extra night in Belgium, sporadic sleep (snoring room-mate and the regular BP & pulse checks), and a lot of sitting around both yesterday and this morning. The good doc saw me about half-ten, and she cleared me to go. Chutney had been kept in a nearby room, undamaged (pannier saved it from damage at rough guess). Off I went, making my way to the station, eventually (play-it-by-ear with the aid of Osmand on the phone). The direct train to Brussels is one an hour, and I was too late out of the hospital for the 11.40. Got to the station at noon, and not long to wait for the service to Gent, where I could connect with a Brussels one. Rang Eurostar and bought a new ticket for the 1452 to London (£178.50....yes, really).

And then there was a bomb alert in Gent. The train got held in Brugge. I was advised to leave the train and wait for the next direct one to Brussels (the 1240 from Ostend), which would be in plenty of time, if it was running on time. And it turned up, and then got held, of course. Cue further panicky phone call to Eurostar, they put a note on my booking, and if need be would change me on to the next London train without too much bother. Train eventually leaves for Brussels, 36 mins late. I leave at Brussels Suid and race to the Eurostar check-in. The 1452 hasn't closed yet. I have to get my ticket printed out. I have to fold the bike to go through security. Security guy makes me take my shoes off and put absolutely everything through the machine, tells me to empty my pockets when the keys set off the metal detector then complains about the germ risk of my handkerchief (!!!)..really what I needed. All the time the clock ticks...More panic. If I was thinking straighter, I'd have unfolded the bike again instead of struggling with the unwieldy package on the way to the platform. And I was in the first carriage, of course... Make the train in the nick of time, having got on the third carriage....

Rest of journey home thankfully less eventful. Back into St Pancras on time, out of the station in ten minutes, ride to Waterloo straightforward enough. Couldn't quite make the fast service at half four, so the stopping one at five it was. Home at about seven. And relax.....

Edit: If you liked this post, you should like the next one more. It's not about me crashing....

Attachments

• 8H99gzp.png
    8H99gzp.png
    319 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
@StuAff - good you are safely home. SWMBO with only 40 years experience at this game has ordered me to order you to rest, rest and rest again. You really can't be too careful after these incidents and the aftermath. So please go gently and bypass the heroics. We all want to see you fit and well for the next expedition so, like me, don't risk anything too soon.

Or she will hunt you down and bend your spokes. You have been warned.

All the best ...

StuAff

Now, after the crashing report (well, the report about things that happened after I crashed), the ride report.

Last year, I waxed lyrical about this ride, even though getting there and back were problematic (hindsight suddenly seems to make those issues so much smaller....). Notwithstanding the above post, I've changed my opinion a bit in view of the events of Saturday night/Sunday morning, you might understand why...

This is (capital letters for emphasis, not quoting the owner of Binky the horse) THE BEST NIGHT RIDE OF ALL. BAR NONE. BEST START POINT. AWESOME CYCLING CONDITIONS ALL THE WAY. THE VERY VERY VERY BEST HALF WAY STOP. IT'S PROBABLY GOT LOTS OF LOVELY BUNGALOWS IN IT, I THINK THEY HAVE MANY IN THE LOW COUNTRIES, BUT I DIDN'T NOTICE THEM, SORRY. BREAKFAST IN OSTEND IS GREAT (I REMEMBER IT FROM LAST YEAR, ALRIGHT?). INTERESTING NIGHT-LIFE (IN AALST). AND KANGAROOS. AND A ZEBRA. YES, REALLY, WE WEREN'T ON DRUGS, HONEST. THERE IS PHOTO EVIDENCE. IT'S GOT COBBLESTONES AND I'D RIP THEM ALL UP BUT THAT'S JUST AN INCENTIVE TO BUY A GRAVEL BIKE IF YOU ASK ME. DO YOU WANT TO DO ONE NIGHT RIDE EVER (NOW THAT'S A NUTTY IDEA)? DO THIS ONE.

In other words, if the lovely @swarm_catcher doesn't decide to blackball me in an effort to stop the Curse of the Tramlines, I will be back. Well, I'll be back in Belgium in three weeks anyway, but I'll be back for this ride if she'll let me. I knew, before last year, that Belgium did not deserve its image among some as a boring nation. No boring place could produce Rene Magritte, Herge, Front 242, and the massive contribution to sporting life from the likes of Icxx, Boutsen, Clijsters, and of course Baron Eddy Merckx.....After last year, I fell in love. It's just an awesome place even if you don't ride a bike. And if you do, well, you're not a problem, you're among friends. There are compulsory cycle lanes, but they are for the most part sensible and logical things. Apart from letting scooters on them. Seriously, what's that about? Surrealism defining roads policy perhaps. Lovely people, lovely food, lovely architecture....

After last year, I was endevouring to avoid a stressful time there and back. Eurostar is not cheap, unless you get the very best prices, but it is quick and simple. I think I'd rather (metaphorically) have teeth pulled than endure the crawl along the coast to Dover again (HS1 via London knocks a good half an hour off that time, though at nearly three times the price...spend the extra, seriously). And then the ferry (two hours plus minimum 45 mins check in). And then you've got to get across the border (avoid those nasty raising bridges), another slow train from De Panne (or go to Ostend, almost worth the time saving).... Eurostar, OTOH...Up to the smoke, through check-in, minimum half an hour before, and two hours later you are in God's Own Bilingual Cycling Surrealist Nation.

I was into Brussels at 1905, which left plenty of time for my three self-appointed pre-ride tasks: See the Atomium, which I failed to do last year, have a decent pre-ride meal (ditto), and get enough miles in to knock out the Imperial Century challenge off for this month. And jobs emphatically done. I ended up with 100.12 miles on the Garmin. Part of this may have involved an ambulance, 50 mph top speed is a clue, but that still leaves 99 and a bit miles of ride data at my normal riding speed, so I'm claiming it anyway. And I'll be doing another ton this month at some point for the pedants. Will post links to the photos I took later.

The plotted route on the Garmin went a bit pear-shaped- I think it got confused and decided the middle was the end- so I ended up improvising, successfully. Thirteen miles done via the Basilica of the Sacred Heart (a very, very big church) and the Atomium, then back to my chosen restaurant for the evening, Fin de Siecle. Described by @BalkanExpress as a Brussels institution, he wasn't wrong. No reservations, no credit cards. Drinks menu, everything else listed on a chalkboard. Service a bit chaotic, but friendly, and it's a chaotic kind of place anyway. Get there at 9.35 as I did and the queue will be long. Then you see food coming out and anyone with half a brain decides to wait (as it turns out, the CT scan shows I sort of have half a brain too. But it's half a brain that Manned TFU..). Big platefuls of delicious hearty food look fantastic, and they taste better. Sat after forty minutes, I ordered the carbonnade- a traditional beef stew cooked in beer. I was hungry, but I demolished it because I enjoyed it. In the worst development of the entire weekend, yes, I'm including the events outlined in #85, THERE WAS NO RIJSTAART LEFT. Shocking! I was forced to have the tiramisu instead, which was splendid. Face stuffed and a grin on my face, I left for the Grand Place. La Chaloupe had no rijstaart either (appalling), so I had to make do with a most excellent chocolate cake. The rest of our merry crew had already assembled, including the other (not formerly in the Balkans) David, of our halfway hosts, who'd expressed an interest in joining us last year and proved as good as his word. And it was very very nice, after the events of last year to be there in good time and well fed....

So, again led by @BalkanExpress, we went off, past the Ancienne Belgique (I probably noticed it last year, but paid it more attention this time as I'll be spending two nights in there with Einstürzende Neubauten...), and out into the western 'burbs and over the border into Vlaanderen. On account of communion duties, David then turned off for home and the rest of us went on into the quiet night. Aalst saw a Belgian version of Essex nightlife, whilst Wetteren had this....some of us tried and failed to photograph it. ISOs proved too high. There was a bit of duck call entertainment, but lesser volume than last year.

Karen (David's wife) had again prepared an extensive and extremely tasty spread, the highlights being, well, all of it. David resisted the temptation to stay and continued on. Gent was navigated with ease, before we paused for Kangaroo and Zebra Watch. Bruges's lovely (only in an ironic sense) cobblestones tolerated, and we didn't park in the middle of the road this time as we ate further delights from the Vandevelde household. Gordon and Martin bade their farewells at this point to begin the recce for September's tour. The rest of us continued to Ostend. Still lovely, right until the events outlined above....But I choose to accentuate the positive. I will be back!!!!

Last edited:

StuAff

wanda2010

Guru
I wasn't too sure whether I should post given Stu's incident and I headed off to the New Forest on Sunday night (in my sleep-deprived state) so wouldn't have been able to focus.

Glad you made it back safely Stu and hope you will take the advice upthread.

From my standpoint, it was my first Belgian ride and I will be back next year, although there are rumblings about a much reduced cycle service on Eurostar. Maybe time for a Brompton?

I can't top Stu's description of the ride so I won't try. I can add a few things though. The breakfast was great. Cava replaced my traditional Guinness and I aim to repeat it next year :okay:

I loved the cycle lanes and smiled whenever we stopped at the traffic lights, only because I would have been tempted to............... Fully stocked snacks/drinks machines out in the open? Not vandalised? A welcome sight at 3am, but that would never work in the UK. Cycling along the canals was a joy. I think we should have a singalong next year!

I enjoyed my trip on the Eurostar but was a little miffed at losing my C0 canisters at the security checkpoint on the return leg. To be honest I had completely forgotten they weren't allowed but Eurostar UK security let through on the outbound :ohmy:. Thankfully I was collected at St Pancras so didn't have to ride home or have the P-Fairy pay a visit :notworthy:

Thanks Els, BalkanExpress, Els sister, David/Karen for the fabulous rest stop and spread and the UK peeps for a wonderful ride. My tiny tyres survived the cobbles but I'll try to avoid using them next year.

StuAff

Much reduced cycle service on Eurostar? Any links for that @wanda2010 as I've heard nothing of the sort (it's bad enough for full-size bikes as it is). CTC bike bag, drop both wheels as long as it's no longer than 85 cm in any direction will be OK. I didn't use the cover for Chutney at all on the way back, not that I'd recommend doing that just in case.

I've been off work today, just to be on the safe side. Slept very well indeed, aches and pains subsiding, no further problems. I expect to be back at work Thursday at the latest, if not tomorrow. If I'm not feeling A1, I'm not going to risk the bike commute (either engine or human powered), and the train alternative would set back my recovery. OK, I just don't want to spend over an hour to travel twenty miles when it's not under my own steam! As should be apparent from postings in the last couple of days, my brain is seemingly unaffected [this may inspire regret in some readers]. Suffice to say I do not feel the sudden urge to do anything crazy, voting Tory for instance. Have just sent Dr Van Diest an email to say thank you for the care I received in Ostend.

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
Much reduced cycle service on Eurostar? Any links for that
I presume this may be a reference to the new e320 stock replacing the 20+ year old trains from this November. They have 20% more seating so I guess something had to give ...

StuAff

I presume this may be a reference to the new e320 stock replacing the 20+ year old trains from this November. They have 20% more seating so I guess something had to give ...
Seats are thinner. More space for luggage, according to the Wired piece here.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Neurologist's diagnosis was cerebral commotion. Or, 'bang on the head causes hurty brain'.
Welcome to the club! I'm a member three times over. Here's a scan of my brain (I like to post this, as it proves I have one).

brainscan.gif

Suffice to say I do not feel the sudden urge to do anything crazy, voting Tory for instance.

camerontram.jpg

David Cameron spotted near tram line. "Where have you been?" asks Samantha. "Making sure I get every vote that's coming to me," he says mysteriously.

Glad to hear you've had no further problems, and delighted you'll be joining us on my London to Hastings ride. Surely you remember signing up for that, right? No? Well, I won't hold you to it, considering the accident and all...

Last edited:
Top Bottom