FNRttK 2015 - Saturday May 2nd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It gets better. Strava's corrected elevation data for my ride is 865ft, Garmin Connect reckons 1021 ft, with a maximum elevation (reached after 6.5 miles) of 216 feet- that'll be the pathetic incline Martin refers to. After that, nothing that even reaches 100 ft!!

wanda2010

Guru
The single-speed remains in first place. I discovered a US company that makes 28s for 650c wheels so I ordered a pair. IF they arrive in time, I'll put them on a bike and test them in Belgium. Getting excited now!

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Well hurrah! New dynohub wheel (£55 from Thorn) and super New light (£32 from Rose bikes) fitted to Giant. This means I can ride it in Belgium, then on the recce with Gordon, and cross from the Hook of Holland to Harwich on Friday night and take the train to Manningtree in time to be there for the 9am Saturday start to the Asparagus & Strawberries 400k. I'll arrive at the arrivée one minute before the cut-off time of 12 noon on Sunday, then go to Gordon's to pick up my excess luggage (too heavy to carry it on the audax) and go home where I will sleep a thousand thousand years.
It's all a bit manic. Not sure how I ever found the time time go to work. Not that I did much when I was there, mind....

Can you post details of your excellent dynohub deal please.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/700c-fro...shimano-dynohub-6v-05a-3w-in-black-prod37210/

The dynohub is not the same one as I have on the other two front wheels, it's a slightly different shape and in black, so I guess it is cheaper. The wheel seems to run ok. I prefer more spokes but the current wheel has 24 so I thought it worth a try. If it breaks either on the ostend ride, or the recce of the lowlands, or the 400k immediately after all that, I'm snookered.

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/700c-fro...shimano-dynohub-6v-05a-3w-in-black-prod37210/

The dynohub is not the same one as I have on the other two front wheels, it's a slightly different shape and in black, so I guess it is cheaper. The wheel seems to run ok. I prefer more spokes but the current wheel has 24 so I thought it worth a try. If it breaks either on the ostend ride, or the recce of the lowlands, or the 400k immediately after all that, I'm snookered.
Oooooh.

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
  1. My return rail ticket is the 15.56 Any Belgian Station to London. Can I get a train from our destination to pick up the Eurostar (including time dropping off bike to train staff)? May bring Kindle if I have lots of time to hang around.
Yes you can. Trains from Oostende to Brussel-Zuid are 40 mins past the hour (direct train). 12:40 would get you there at 1:54.
  1. Is the route single-speed friendly? I mean, as flat as a flat thing? Not an incline, steep anything, "just up there" kind of hill?
I'll be on a single-speed, just like last year. It's flat. We do take steps down the steepest bits at some point :smile:

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
And excellent news has just come in. Our hosts from last year, the family Vandevelde, have said we're welcome again! How wonderful. What a treat. I'll adjust the route and repost. It's not much of a detour and oh so worth it.

Edit: Route with detour is attached: 139km, high: 71m, low: -1.5.

Attachments

• FNRttK2015 Route.GPX
    497.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
@swarm_catcher - Thanks for the additonal information. Still undecided as to whether to take the single-speed or geared. Looking forward to the experience.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Geared is better for the top gear speed when we are on the flat for several miles with no interruption. Single speed is less faff. But there is not much changing of gears as it is so flat. And the tarmac is jolly good.

StuAff

And excellent news has just come in. Our hosts from last year, the family Vandevelde, have said we're welcome again! How wonderful. What a treat. I'll adjust the route and repost. It's not much of a detour and oh so worth it.

Edit: Route with detour is attached: 139km, high: 71m, low: -1.5.
What's the Flemish for 'Yaaaaaaaaaaay?' :smile: As I recall, they said they were happy to have us back, and that was an amazing spread that they prepared for us, so glad they've been willing and able to accommodate us again.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Their hospitality was amazing, With food aplenty and garden candles to welcome us. Still makes me smile thinking of their total bemusement on the whole concept why people like cycling through the night rather than sleeping.

StuAff

Met Office/BBC forecasts both go for heavy rain on Saturday night, but a tailwind and mild temperatures. Norwegians have it as dry.....
It might well be raining over here on Saturday anyway, so the wet gear will probably be required.

Top Bottom