FNRttK 2015 - Saturday May 2nd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yup, still planning to ride, and to stay on with Gordon afterwards to ride the recce.
Travel plans are to train to Dover, ferry to Dunkirk, ride to de Panne, train to Brussels.
Happy to travel to Brussels with someone if this is their first time.
Just a thought. Use a more inland route this time, or at least avoid the retractable bridges- remember what happened to me (and quite a few others I've read about since...).

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Sounding like a compact and bijou ride.
@mllond dropped me a line about train times etc, don't know if she's let you know Els....?
@BalkanExpress I assume will still be joining us for the first stretch?

As #4 I'll be into Brussels at 1905, will pootle up to a certain landmark for the photo op I missed last year and get at least 13 miles in (thus knocking out May's imperial century nice and early). Is there a pre meet-up meet-up somewhere? Restaurant that serves Flandrian-sized portions would be good. :hungry: :hungry: Also as per #4 my train back from Brussels on Saturday isn't till 1452, so no rush to get to Ostend & time enough for that excellent breakfast and leisurely ride to the station.
Yes, good point, @BalkanExpress is leading us out.
Not heard from @mllond

StuAff

Yes, happy to lead out. I have not checked the track yet but if similar to last year I will follow a similar route.

For 2016 I have something rather different in mind, but that can keep for another day.:smile:

For restaurants there is a list in last year 's thread if I remember correctly.
There was indeed. Els's mention of waffles made me wonder if one in particular was suggested...that said I'll probably go for the rijsttaart at Le Chaloupe as well....:hungry:

There was indeed. Els's mention of waffles made me wonder if one in particular was suggested...that said I'll probably go for the rijsttaart at Le Chaloupe as well....:hungry:

Dandoy has a tearoom (not to be confused with their biscuit shop) just off the bottom end of the Grand place (bottom left hand corner as you look from the challope d,or) . Splendid if a little pricey, but then again £ is up against the €. Brussels waffles are lighter and the ones you usually load with chocolate/cream/fruit, liege waffles are pure sugar studded stodge:hungry:

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I shall definitely be there but have not got my head around rehearsing my plans, what with Easter in the far NW of Scotland & now in Taunton preparing to walk the Coleridge Way. Back in London for the FNRttC to Bognor, then a week at home to think about riding th Radnor Ring immediately before taking the late Saturday Eurostar to Brussels arriving at approx 11 p.m. I think. Will check & let you know.
planning to ride, and to stay on with Gordon afterwards to ride the recce
so from Ostend we plan to take the train to Brugge & then head north across the Zeeland bridges to Hellevoetsluis, so not too late for breakfast please!

mllond

Thanks Stu and Els.
Unfortunately have been waiting to move house and it's all happening now so couldn't join after all.
Hope to see some people next Fri though!
Have a great ride mx

StuAff

One week to go- this time on Saturday I'll be in Brussels. I've been having a look at route options for the Brussels-Midi-Atomium-nosh-Grand Place ride. Thinking of going south-west towards Itterbeek/Dilbeek, then past the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, up to the Atomium and back to the Grand Place via Fin de Siecle (that looks like my kind of place!).
Might try to fit in the Mercxx-Icxx exhibition at the Trade Mart after returning to Brussels on Sunday, but probably won't have the time to do it justice, I'll have to be back at the south station by 1400 or so, so will probably leave it until my return visit at the end of the month.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Well hurrah! New dynohub wheel (£55 from Thorn) and super New light (£32 from Rose bikes) fitted to Giant. This means I can ride it in Belgium, then on the recce with Gordon, and cross from the Hook of Holland to Harwich on Friday night and take the train to Manningtree in time to be there for the 9am Saturday start to the Asparagus & Strawberries 400k. I'll arrive at the arrivée one minute before the cut-off time of 12 noon on Sunday, then go to Gordon's to pick up my excess luggage (too heavy to carry it on the audax) and go home where I will sleep a thousand thousand years.
It's all a bit manic. Not sure how I ever found the time time go to work. Not that I did much when I was there, mind....

StuAff

Bike prepared (apart from last minute checks)- Chutney the wonderbike is now Chutney the touring wonderbike with the addition of a Tern Cargo Rack. There were cheaper options but that one looked like it could handle everything I might need- it'll take full-size panniers and a rack bag, 25 kg capacity, strong luggage cord included. In the event I need to take my Dahon bike bag, not just the slip cover, to go on a train, it'll fit on the rack. Clearly sturdy and up to the job. The panniers in comparison were cheap- £10 from Rutland Cycling- but Ortliebs seemed like overkill for my needs. If I do more touring, perhaps I'll invest in better luggage, but for that price I have no complaints, they'll be fine for a night in Brussels and the Normandy trip. Been for a quick spin round the block, zero problems with heel strike, bike's not much heavier, handling (with empty panniers) unaffected.

wanda2010

Guru
Good grief! All the prep that's going on and I've not done a thing. I have my rail tickets and I know which bike I'm taking. I think.

I'll be on the 1904 arriving 2208. I'll read upthread for a suitable 'lounging around' place on arrival.

Questions for our Esteemed Ride Leader and Other Knowledgeable Folk.
  1. My return rail ticket is the 15.56 Any Belgian Station to London. Can I get a train from our destination to pick up the Eurostar (including time dropping off bike to train staff)? May bring Kindle if I have lots of time to hang around.
  2. Is the route single-speed friendly? I mean, as flat as a flat thing? Not an incline, steep anything, "just up there" kind of hill?
Having retired the Luath Small (700c wheels, not comfortable on it even though I tried to convince myself I was) my remaining bikes are 650c with 23s tyres. I'll bring a spare tyre, just in case.

Now where did I put my Euros?

Last edited:

StuAff

Good grief! All the prep that's going on and I've not done a thing. I have my rail tickets and I know which bike I'm taking. I think.

I'll be on the 1904 arriving 2208. I'll read upthread for a suitable 'lounging around' place on arrival.

Questions for our Esteemed Ride Leader and Other Knowledgeable Folk.
  1. My return rail ticket is the 15.56 Any Belgian Station to London. Can I get a train from our destination to pick up the Eurostar (including time dropping off bike to train staff)? May bring Kindle if I have lots of time to hang around.
  2. Is the route single-speed friendly? I mean, as flat as a flat thing? Not an incline, steep anything, "just up there" kind of hill?
Having retired the Luath Small (700c wheels, not comfortable on it even though I tried to convince myself I was) my remaining bikes are 650c with 23s tyres. I'll bring a spare tyre, just in case.

Now where did I put my Euros?
1. Yes, Ostend station is a mile away from Caruso (our breakfast stop)- bought the same ticket type as you. I'm on the 1452 Eurostar. Trains from Ostend take 1:30 or so, and Brussel-Midi is the penultimate stop so you won't need to change trains or ride across town.
2. How flat can a flat ride be? This flat. Railway and canal bridges are the only things with any inclination whatsoever. I'll be on the 53t ring the whole time.....though that might be because it's a single chainring :smile:

23mm tyres will be, er, interesting, when you encounter cobblestones. Be warned. Chutney was rattling like a loon in Bruges....

Edit: I just checked the ride data on Strava. I rode 141 miles (Ostend-Dunkerque afterwards) and the total climbing was only 1700 ft. Olaf's data (Brussels-Ostend only) shows a mere 607 ft. So that's less than 10ft per mile :smile:

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
In terms of flat, it's flat. The highest thing in it is a bridge over a canal. There is a sort of pathetic incline on the outskirts of Brussels that thinks it might grow into a small bump in later life, but overall it is what Proper Cyclists call "fixed friendly". The bits alongside the canals are perfect wide tarmac designed for huge maintenance lorries but never driven on. Sometimes we seem to be moving at quite a respectable speed.

Top Bottom