Folder mods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've seen Bromptons with drop bars that - as far as I can remember - folded OK. But my memory is not all that reliable. That's more ergonomics than weight. If you want to lighten your Brompton then a Ti rear triangle & setpost should probably be your first starting point.

In fact, those mods are not particularly extreme. Just from going on a few Friday Night Rides to the Coast I've seen stranger things.
The weight savings from Ti parts on a Brompton are fairly minimal compared to the costs and unlikely to affect speed greatly. As we (should) all know, speed for any given rider is mostly about aerodynamics and Bromptons and most other folders are not designed primarily for aerodynamic efficiency, however, adding drop-bars should have a potential benefit far greater than weight savings.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’m fortunate to have both a bog standard M6L and a CHPT3.
I love them both. I do notice the weight difference when picking them up or folding them, and the C3 is a smoother ride, probably due to the combination of titanium and smoother tyres.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
https://fudgescyclestore.com/product/moulton_tsr_22
1611920393088.png

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

Oh, and I may sound like a grumpy old man but that saddle he’s put on looks absolutely hideous. I’d last about a mile on that before I had to bin it

chriscross1966

Über Member
Modding Bromptons isn't for everyone nor should it be, we are all different... my four are meant for different situations, Henrietta, the 11-speed Vostok is to my mind my perfect daily commuter and workhorse. She can manage the big shop or a weeks camping within her flexible luggage options, Persephone the Nickel looks like she is heading in another new direction, having been a 5-speed with a daft 80-tooth chainring then an 11, she's likely to end up wearing Campag Ekar 13-speed as soon as SEMA get the new pattern freehub on their lenticular 349 wheel, that'll be paired with a trispoke up front ... the recumbent project now gains an 11-speed Alfine wheel from Persephone and needs me to find some extended workshop time to machine parts... Francesca will be going 2 by up front and the 75T dinner plate will be swapped for a set of 61-46 TT rings and a Moulton AM7 cluster at the back, meanwhile her cranks, the levers off the powergrades and the Deltas covers go of to get pantographed and polished and the rear triangle gets modded to fit the Delta better... I can't say my other bikes get left alone, my 89 Bianchi currently wears monstrously deep carbon Zipp wheels with about half the sensible number of spokes and there's a Bianchi MTB alloy frame transforming into a drop-bar gravel/bikepacking ride....

LardAbove

I have put my Folder Dawes Kingpin on BMX wheels, upped spokes from 28h to 36h (I am Lardy!!) The handlebars are to give me more range of 'upright/comfy' posture.
The little bike is a single speed folder, for SWMBO, and I'm changing the rear sprocket from 16T to 12T, getting the gearing a little less 'keystone cops' on the pedalling....

LardAbove 🚴

Attachments

• IMG_20220707_173726.jpg
    IMG_20220707_173726.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220720_192923.jpg
    IMG_20220720_192923.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
I think my avatar says it all. Brooks saddle, custom water bottle holders, drops, and aerobars. The aerobars are quick release so it folds fine.
I have since lowered the handlebars by 4cm and replaced the drops with a tri-bar setup. I can hang with racer types which really pisses them off being as I'm 65 and riding a "toy" bike :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom