Folding bike suitable for 3 mile commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Any Dahon will be fine for your purpose if you are very tall check the seat post extends enough.
I have had a Dahon 7 speed for several years and its a great bike.

Ordinary panniers are ok if not too huge. The usual problem is your heels touching the pannier when pedalling mine have just barely enough room for my size 8 feet.
006-10_zps1e656376.jpg

chris folder

Hi:hello: I use a avenir bag but not that one there built well great bags that model is great for rack I have similar bag only draw back is undoing velcro all time to lift bag off mine straps under rack and one loop around seat post

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Tried the Avenir bag for size and it isn't going to be big enough. I could only get one trainer into the bag. They would fit with the side panniers out, but the bag sat too far forward and I would suffer heel strike. So I estimate that I need a 20L size bag that just fits on the rack.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Well after much searching, I am still at a loss to find a suitable rack top bag. They are either less than or equal 12L or greater than or equal 30L. I want one about the 20L size, but they are proving elusive.

12boy

Guru
You might check out the accessories page on the XOOTR Swift site. You will find a "crossrack bike rack" that is suitable for up to 25 lbs. and weighs 1 1/2 lbs. the also sell a matching bag but claim just about anything including grocery sacks can be hung from it. Costs about $50 stateside.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Thanks Chris.
Your links lead me to find what might be more suited to what I need.
I found the Paddywagon on the Axiom website. It looks just what the doctor ordered. SJS Cycles do it for £50. Just emailed them to see if they think that it will fit the Dahon. Hope so, as it has all the room that I should need.

It's a really pity there aren't more rack bags designed for folding bikes. You've got acre of room above the rear wheel, so there is really no need to have something hanging over the wheels or sticking out sideways. A tall bag that would be a hazard on a road bike, and raise the centre of gravity, would actually lower the centre of gravity on a folder.

Still, the paddywagon looks ok to me, barring heel strike.

(this is what I mean, using up that negative space that is on all small wheeled folders)
710113.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Well I have got the bike.
I had to bodge one of my rear light mounts to fit the right hand side rack stay by using some old inner tube as padding to make the stay a bit thicker.
After I got the lights monuted I had a quick 3 mile or so test ride.
My initial impression was that it was a decent ride. What surprised me was how low the gearing is and I was topping out in top gear easily.
There are a couple of small issues.
1) There was an arful rattle from the back of the bike, I eventually traced this to the rear mudguard. I thought that it was the stay mount. But even when the stay mount was removed from the mudguard (held on by 2 screws) the rattle was still evident when you tapped the mudguard. After much investigation I found that source of the problem. It was the rubber mud flap. This is attached to the bottom of the mudguard by 2 plastic pop-rivets and metal washers on the inside of the mudguard. Trouble was that the washers were not a tight fit to the pop-rivets and they rattled against the mudguard. It was a simple fix. I removed the rivets (by pushing in the centre pin). I then made some rubber washers out of some old inner tube and put these between the mudguard and the metal washers. Attached the stay again and all was silient. Good as the bloody rattle was driving me crazy.
2) The free hub seems to clunk every so often and seems to be when you apply power. Maybe it will settle down with use.
3) The rear wheel seems a bit noisy when spinning. It spins freely enough but it has a slight grating noise. I might check that it is adequately greased.
4) The bungee cord supplied with the bike is crap. I tried a few experimental packing options which meant that I streched the cord a fair bit. However, it now will not return to its original length and is now too long to stay on the mounts without having something on the rack to take up the slack.

chris folder

Hi:hello: found a bag you like then. My Dahon D8 Bungee Cord I Never Use It. I Bought A Mixed Pack Of Bungee Cords In a Tube Different sizes holdfords should have tighten all bolts etc up before you had bike or did u put it together yourself? How meny gears you got? My dahon has 8 I never use 7,8

Top Bottom