Folding Bikes question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hilldodger said:
I could get one free if I wanted one:evil:

I don't:evil:
Can I have yours then?

I'll look after it and everyfink.

Andy 71

I own two 20" Dahons, and yes, compared to my experience of a Bromptons, they ride better and are far more stable. However, the Brommies are far better built, are far more reliable and will last forever with the right amount of care - the Sturmey Archer AW hubs fitted to Brommies have legendary reliability and industructability.

Dahons are mass-produced in Asia and a common fault is that the frame snaps near the seatpost. Happened to me - took me 3 months to get a new frame - which I had to rebuild myself. The Dahons are virtually impossible to get parts for, whereas the Brompton is handbuilt in the UK and parts are ubiquitous.

Brommies aren't ideal for someone of my heavy frame, but with the benefit of hindsight, I definately would have bought one and made the necessary modifications.

My advice would always be to by the very best you can afford - you'll save money in the long run.

I have a three-year-old Trek F400 folder which is a re-badged Dahon. It's a good bike giving a solid ride and does what I want really well except for one thing - the fold. It takes up too much space on the train in that it won't fit in many gaps between seats etc. so that a commute on a packed train can be just as much a nightmare as with a full-sized bike. I have had the use of a Brompton and found that the ride is comparable to the Trek ((after a bit of getting used to) but it is the fold that has made me decide to go out and purchase an M6L. If I need a quick trip to the shops I shall use the Trek (largely because of the rear rack) but for the majority of my day-to-day riding it will be the Brommie that is called into service. That wouldn't however stop me recommending any Dahon folder...they are good bikes and arguably the better choice for many.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
TheBoyBilly said:
If I need a quick trip to the shops I shall use the Trek (largely because of the rear rack) but for the majority of my day-to-day riding it will be the Brommie that is called into service. That wouldn't however stop me recommending any Dahon folder...they are good bikes and arguably the better choice for many.
If you can weather the slightly eyewatering price of the bags, the brompton luggage is really, really good. I'm using the C bag at the moment, and for anything where I don't need both panniers on the tourer, or a full size rack, it's superb. From what I hear, the touring pannier swallows a huge amount (but can't be used with S type bars).

John the Monkey said:
From what I hear, the touring pannier swallows a huge amount (but can't be used with S type bars).

Oh, it does. The front basket is huge as well. I have a front basket and Mr SavageHoutkop has a touring pannier. Not the most aerodynamic, the front basket, but for shopping it can't be beat.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
SavageHoutkop said:
Oh, it does. The front basket is huge as well. I have a front basket and Mr SavageHoutkop has a touring pannier. Not the most aerodynamic, the front basket, but for shopping it can't be beat.

One of my favourite quotes concerns the Brompton basket, "It's not a basket, it's a front loading pannier."

The Matrix

Bicycles4u fan here.

Just for the record I have one of their folding mountain bikes. Had it for over 4 years now and it's still working well. Been used for commuting (4 to 5 days a week), a number of weekend cycles rides (~30 miles) and also getting to and from the pub in the evenings (sometimes via the train). Been great whizzing through the countryside on it and it has been lots of fun. Hilly here in Suffolk too and it go up them well. Folding it is fine. I paid £70 for it (got a discounted one, due to some scratches in the paintwork). Eventually had to change the tyers as been using it so frequently the originals wore down. But all in all a good sturdy bike.

The main advantage (and piece of mind) is the cost. At only £70 if someone did manage to steal it from outside the pub, then I would not be too heart broken at the loss of £70 (in fact the chain, padlock and lights I use are worth more than the bike!).

The downside is that at me being 5'10" tall, I am on the upper limit of the handbars and saddle. So anyone taller may not be able to ride the bike as comfortably as I can. I am eyeing up their city commuter bike as a future upgrade / replacement should the bike eventually clap out.

Best regards,

Matt

Top Bottom