Folding mountain bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
One of my friends, a very novice cyclist, was telling me today that he was thinking of buying a Montague folding mountain bike that he'd seen advertised in the Independent. I don't know which model but it was about £500. Call me sceptical, but I'd be very cautious about buying a bike from a newspaper. Do any of you have any better suggestions? He's looking for a bike he can take away in the car for weekends and likes the idea of being able to put it in the boot so that it's not on show. He's into walking so I'm guessing the idea of a mountain bike appeals to him more than a road bike. Thanks!

bonj2

I'd be sceptical about buying anything that claims to be a 'folding mountain bike', in addition to being sceptical about buying from a newspaper. Basically a folder does well just to pass as a bike at all, let alone a mountain bike.

RedBike

On paper they don't seem to bad to me.
http://www.montaguebikes.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=xo1

They don't seem to fold up that small. If they would fit in the car boot then perhaps a normal bike (with the wheels removed) would too! Perhaps a bike box/bag would be enough to hide the bike from view?

The Montague bikes do look poorly spec'ed compared to what you'd normally get for your money; but I suppose thats to be expected.

I would be worred about the frame flexing and the bike being too heavy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Folders are for commuting and do that job efficiently - you don't want a horrible heavy MTB as a folder - it won't do either job well....

If he needs compact for carrying in a vehicle, as has been said, take the wheels off....

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Thats a Hummer. Bloody horrible things. Built for the US army originally, and meant for use 'in the field'
I been riding MTB's for a long time and wouldn't go near one. A much better MTB can be had for 500. but it won't be a folder, and there is a very good reason for that too.

If you really want to go down this route have a look at Dahon.

They have several models (matrix and Cadenza) in the same price range, butwith a better spec.

dodgy

Small wheeled bikes are crap offroad, I'm not talking about green lanes, but proper offroad.

Dave.

Top Bottom