Folding non-folding tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Couldn't get to my LBS, so I ordered a couple of Marathon Plusses on the net.

Panic stations when the postman handed over a package barely larger than a dinner plate, until I opened it and realised that it contained two tyres that had been twisted into a figure-of-eight and then folded over. Once released, they sprang back to a more normal shape.

I've never bought tyres by mail order, so I don't know whether this the usual way to despatch them. I know you can buy folding tyres, but I believe they don't have the same wire bead, so should I be concerned about mine having been folded like that ?

P.S. I was semi-prepared for them being hard to fit. Notwithstanding that video on YouTube, do normal people manage to fit Schwalbes without resorting to tyre levers ?

HovR

Über Member
I've had tires come like that, and they were/are still fine.

Davidc

Guru
Mine have always come like that and been fine. If they're spares I unfold them and hang them up as soon as they arrive, if not I just fit them.

I use Marathons and Marathon plusses. Have never used a tyre lever to fit either. The well known video shows the technique I was taught for all tyres, about 50 years ago. It has always worked for me, works on Ms and M+s and anything else, and the cable ties aren't really needed.

All new tyres I've ever put on are hard on the hands when first fitted though, and M+ are some of the worst for that.

Pauluk

I ordered one for my rear wheel from Amazon, now I've just ordered one for the front now I've tried the rear so they'll match. I had to use a tyre lever for my first attempt but I'm determined not to when I fit the front :thumbsup:

sittingbull

Veteran
I started a similar thread recently here.

I only twist and fold mine when they're going in the bin. You'll probably be fine as 100's must be sent like that but I have been told by a seller that they can be damaged :sad:

I usually ask first when buying or put a note asking for them to be sent flat.

Top Bottom