Folding pedals failure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

If it's not broke, no need to fix it. But things have moved on, I had a 3 speed hub as a lad, and when I rode my first derailer system got some getting use to, not needing to back pedal.

The epicyclic gear box seems engineering wise far better, but the improvements with derailer with button up and down has resulted in them in the main taking over, we can't stand still.

I have not tried to take my bike on a bus, I know at one point the Mold to Ruthin bus had bike racks, but it seems unused so dropped, the train charges the same as a dog for standard bike, and I see the problem as it takes up same space as a wheel chair, since the train goes no where at the moment, well it goes to Welshpool but you can't get off or on at Welshpool so rather pointless, just a tourist attraction at the moment, so no point asking about folding bikes and if they are also charged same as a dog.

But being able to put the bike in a car and not needing a bike rack is a huge advantage. But I hate small wheels, mine does have 26" which makes balance at low speed easier.

In the main I will fold as little as possible, frame has only been folded once to get the bike home, the pedals however are not folded to get it into a car, but so I don't bang my shins when pushing, would like them on my other bikes as well.

Next is to see if there is an alternative to the back pack. The suspension on rear wheel means normal rack will not fit, and also the rack must not stop it folding. But the rack will also likely alter the mud guard and mean some where to mount a rear lamp. Rear lamps sent for do not really work with the bike as it stands.

Kell

Veteran
How much do you need to carry? You can get rear racks that mount to the seat post.

seatpost mount bike rack - Bing

Or bags:

EEL-131414-A-Bicycle-Seatpost-Bag-8L-Black-870411-.jpg

Also as someone else mentioned above, I always push my bike along using the seat, not the handlebars. That way, you're behind the pedals and no danger of them clattering into your ankle.

I used to have a 26" wheeled folder and there's no doubt it rode more comfortably than the Brompton over rough surfaces. But the Brompton is better made.

u_i

Über Member
I have no idea what you're saying. I understand how to fix Bromptons. I do not understand how to fix Dahons, Birdys or Mezzos. That's why I stick with Bromptons, it's what I know.

OK, rather than talk around, let me give my impressions directly. The posts of you that I read suggest a person who has not ran a business or has other not been forced to consider a broad perspective in such a context. You look locally and say that this is what I want and the brand should deliver. Well, the business has broad responsibilities, ensure that the employees get payed, brand survives over a long time and the customers get taken care of. There are necessary compromises in this.

Brand strategy is generally different for Brompton than for most brands in the folding market. The dominant model is to concentrate on the frame and use off the shelf components. With this there is a limit to how compact the fold can be. A human can only carry certain weight and size, and pack it somewhere, and the folded bike is around that boundary, so it is actually an important place to work around. Brompton develops many of its own components and also accessories in collaboration with others. With this they can achieve a more compact fold than other brands. However, relying on custom parts in the market is a challenge. Costs mount compared to parts with broad market appeal. You become responsible for the part availability over years. The response needs to be in parts that are straightforward, out of inexpensive materials, with not many variations.

When I buy Brompton parts, I am usually surprised how relatively inexpensive they are, actually affordable. A similar part for the broad bicycle market will actually cost about the same, though often be more complicated and out of better materials. But, heck, the Brompton parts work where they need to work! They achieve what they need to achieve. When you go to aftermarket parts for Brompton, usually out of better materials and often more complex, you can see the challenges quite plainly. The costs are a factor of few higher and stunningly the performance of those replacement parts is often inferior.

Anyway, enough of rambling. I think that Brompton does what it needs to do, in fact surprisingly well, and you have a difficulty of seeing the broader picture. In the end the market is open for everybody and, if things can be done better, there is no difficulty in someone marching in and demonstrating that. There is room for other brands than Brompton. Most rely on standardized components and the gain there is that it is easier to mount whatever one wants.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

Until I came to this forum I had never heard of a Brompton. I had considered two stages of folding bike.
Stage 1 will fit in car boot so bike rack not required.
Stage 2 will go inside a bag so can be carried on a bus.
I have not seen a bike I could carry far, but may be there is a Stage 3 which can be carried over foot bridges over the railway?
I can just about lift my standard non electric bike over a gate, but as soon as electric or folding is added, forget that.

It was my intention to visit a bike shop in Shrewsbury to select a suitable bike, I had popped in before Colvid and decided I liked the service they offered, but needed to sort out a few things first like some where to keep the bike at home. But Colvid and DVLA stepped in, and the need for an electric bike became critical when the DVLA did not renew my licence on becoming 70.

As it stands not a clue if I can drive, it says if valid application is made I can drive under rule 88, but no way to confirm it is a valid application, so does not really help, and strike action means chat lines and phone lines don't seem to work.

So bought the e-bike second hand local, it had done 1 kilometre, that was first job making it say miles. I have used it one with my wife, so hers is a mid motor from Halfords, and it seems about the same hill climbing ability, we both had to walk the last bit home.

When daughter visited I tested mine to Welshpool and back and on the Main road it was OK, not happy with traffic but it made it there and back with battery to spare. 16 miles. And faster than the train, although train does no allow using the Welshpool station so at moment a tourist attraction only, can't use it to get to town. Bus also not really an option, two a day and very little time to shop before one has to return.

But although I can cycle in now for emergency supplies, cycling back with weeks shopping on my back is not really going to work. So praying I get my licence soon. May be will need to move home, I hope not I like it here, seems like being transported back 60 years into my childhood with steam trains again, although the tractors do seem to have grown in size.

berlinonaut

Veteran
But although I can cycle in now for emergency supplies, cycling back with weeks shopping on my back is not really going to work.
Getting a trailer to attach to your bike is a very valid option if a rack with panniers does not offer enough space. Heavy loads on the back while cycling is a PITA and takes the fun out of cycling.

mitchibob

Über Member
I'd not trust £8 folding pedals. It's pretty important for them not to fail. I've seen Bromptons with removable pedals - maybe they would work for you ?

I really liked the idea of removable pedals, and they looked good on the Brommie I saw them on, and the guy was happy with them, but, I could just see myself leaving a pedal somewhere, so decided just to lose the folding/removable pedal feature altogether. Never looked back! :-). Shimano XT PD-T8000 are my favourites. Light, with reflectors, so UK road legal, and can still use the with my Birkenstocks. 24,000km without making a noise!

Last edited:
Top Bottom