Folding pedals failure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raggydoll

Über Member
It it just I am too heavy at 22 stone or as folding pedals weak?

I've only ever had folding pedals on folding bikes and both sets failed.
I replaced them with standard non folding pedals.

I think the theory of folding pedals is good (especially for folding bikes) but in reality as they are not solid they are a lot weaker.

Don't feel bad or question being too heavy.

Blame the pedals!^_^

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

My next attempt was these Raleigh branded folders.

They've stood up (so far) to modest use on my least used bike.

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/raleigh-fo...GUxMh9f3AXYjIap3TK4aAvMyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Arrived today and fitted, fingers crossed.

Kell

Veteran
I don't think that's what it means.

I think there's a difference between a bike designed for outdoor use, that you're using indoors, and an indoor exercise bike.

Also - why on earth would you be fitting folding pedals to a bike you're planning to use on track ?

Legomutton

Much of the MKS range can be had as removable, but they are a lot dearer than the non-removable versions. The Brompton folding pedal hasn't given me any bother but they're expensive and AFAIK only made as left hand!

I've used Shimano M-324 pedals (non-folding) on my Brompton too, just now I have those on the Cube temporarily as the free ones were awful - the M-324 are flat one side and SPD the other, they're reasonably compact standing about 100m off the crank face.

If I wanted folders, I'd go for a recognised pedal brand. The Wellgo F265** can be had for £26 delivered - can't speak for it as I've never owned any but I wouldn't expect it to fall to pieces immediately [but see below]. The MKS FD-7 is about £35 on Amazon, haven't owned that either.

If you want to try a different unbranded pair, SJS have some for £6.99!

**EDIT - Bit of badge engineering going on here - those Wellgo's look exactly like some "Raleigh" ones on Amazon (different to the ones mentioned by Pale Rider) that several reviewers experienced very early bearing failures with. Perhaps avoid those...

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thank you, folding pedals are good with any push bike, it stops them hitting your shins when pushing it, so in rear terms more needed for non electric than electric, as tend to push the bike more often on these hills.

Push the bike but holding the back of the saddle, rather than the handle bars, then the pedal won't be anywhere near your shins or calves, thne you can use a proper pedal that wont disintegrate.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Much of the MKS range can be had as removable, but they are a lot dearer than the non-removable versions. The Brompton folding pedal hasn't given me any bother but they're expensive and AFAIK only made as left hand!

No, there's a right hand one as well. Just that barely anyone buys and uses it as is is not really needed - the best usecase may be if you put the Brommi in a suitcase and even then it is not really necessary in most cases.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Build a better one and become rich. For me until now the average lifespan of a Brompton folding pedal has been 13 years of intensive use which I wouldn't exactly call "does't last very long" and the pedal in question still works, just that the bearings seem to be worn as it rotates pretty rough. On another one of about the same age (more or less one year older) the pedal does not rotate as freely as it is supposed to but also still works flawlessly. My younger Brompton folding pedals still work as they should until now. So while the construction is far from perfect I don't know any that would be better or last longer, especially given the constructive challenges of folding pedals. I would really love it if you were constructive in direction of a solution instead of constant moaning which seems to come to a very special level when it comes to Brompton related things - your bitter hate on the company seems to have reached you backbone already many years ago and seems to limit harshly the objectiveness of your statements.
So given all the problems that you have with Brompton and their parts you should maybe think about if there is any influence of or connection to the user regarding your problems instead simply to blame the maker. A lot of other Brompton users seem not to be hit by the problems you are suffering from.
I've had five Bromptons to date, four of them used. The folding pedal bearing is always on the way out when I buy a used one, even if the bike has obviously done a very low mileage. Take off the pedal and feel the bearing properly: it will usually be notchy even if there is no play in it yet.

You wanted solutions, so here is mine. I file off the retaining lip and press in a new 62032RS bearing with Loctite 603. It is a very tight fit and the Loctite needs 200 deg C heat to release it, so the pedal won't fall off. Use a good SKF bearing and it'll go longer than the original (one that I did in 2009 is still being ridden by its new owner). This doesn't address the issue of the single row bearing but the OEM bearings I've removed have been noticeably cheap ones, saving a quid on a £40 component.

I do see signs that Brompton are slowly beginning to fit better components, like brakes and rims. The current 1/2 speed freehub is quite nice, too. There's still too much typically British engineering on the bike, though. I persist with them because I understand how to fix or rebuild them, I can still buy MOST spare parts and they still fold smaller than other bikes.

I take an objective view of these things. I'm not a fanboy.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've had five Bromptons to date, four of them used. The folding pedal bearing is always on the way out when I buy a used one, even if the bike has obviously done a very low mileage. Take off the pedal and feel the bearing properly: it will usually be notchy even if there is no play in it yet.

You wanted solutions, so here is mine. I file off the retaining lip and press in a new 62032RS bearing with Loctite 603. It is a very tight fit and the Loctite needs 200 deg C heat to release it, so the pedal won't fall off. Use a good SKF bearing and it'll go longer than the original (one that I did in 2009 is still being ridden by its new owner). This doesn't address the issue of the single row bearing but the OEM bearings I've removed have been noticeably cheap ones, saving a quid on a £40 component.

I do see signs that Brompton are slowly beginning to fit better components, like brakes and rims. The current 1/2 speed freehub is quite nice, too. There's still too much typically British engineering on the bike, though. I persist with them because I understand how to fix or rebuild them, I can still buy MOST spare parts and they still fold smaller than other bikes.

I take an objective view of these things. I'm not a fanboy.
If it’s a really tight fit put the bearing in a small plastic bag and chuck it in the freezer for a few hours before fitting, and keep the pedal somewhere warm.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
That's a good idea, but the inevitable condensation on the bearing could stop the Loctite going off properly. Definitely worth heating the relevant part of the pedal, though.

u_i

Über Member
It is quite common for posts to tell more about the poster than about the nominal subject of their post. In this context, however, the expression of a positive opinion of a poster about themselves hardly brings any info. The concrete info about the pedal bearing is appreciated, though.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It is quite common for posts to tell more about the poster than about the nominal subject of their post. In this context, however, the expression of a positive opinion of a poster about themselves hardly brings any info. The concrete info about the pedal bearing is appreciated, though.
I have no idea what you're saying. I understand how to fix Bromptons. I do not understand how to fix Dahons, Birdys or Mezzos. That's why I stick with Bromptons, it's what I know.

As an analogy, ask London black cab drivers what they think of their vehicles, and they'll give you a run down of all the design and construction issues that Manganese Bronze should have fixed years ago, especially for the price of a new one. But they keep buying them, because it's a known quantity and the alternatives also have problems.

Top Bottom