Folding pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For storage and carriage reasons I use folding platform pedals.

I've had a few branded but cheap pairs, and none last long.

One or other bearings develop a lot of play making me reluctant to rely on that pedal.

My latest attempt to buy something with a bit more quality is the VP pedals in the link.

I got a bit of a shock when they arrived when I discovered there are no flats on the thread.

Installation is via a 6mm allen recess in the end of the thread.

I suppose that's more common on roadie pedals, no reason to think it doesn't work well.

The pedals themselves appear to be better made than my previous ones.

They nip up close the cranks, which means they won't spin all the way around when folded - can't see that matters.

Only time will tell if they are going to last.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vp-components-folding-pedal-vp-117a-413200

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Am I missing something? Have you tried servicing the bearings when they develop play?

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Am I missing something? Have you tried servicing the bearings when they develop play?

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: I wouldn't know where to start, and I wonder if it's worth the bother for a £10/£15 pair of pedals.

A Suntour one snapped, the retailer replaced the pair telling me they'd had a few go.

Suntour told the retailer the cause was a batch of poor steel.

The replacements haven't snapped, although the pair is in my folding pedal graveyard because one developed a lot of play.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It depends how much you like the pedals, I guess. They might not be serviceable anyway.

Basic drill is usually to remove a cap from the non crank end to reveal a locknut and cone, undoing which will free one set of bearings, then withdrawing the spindle will free the others. Clean or replace balls, repack with grease, adjust cone and locknut, replace dust cap.

I'm assuming the crank attaches to a hinge which attaches to the spindle but I've not checked mine are actually like that!

Just a datapoint - I've got MKS FD-7 on my folder. Purchased only a few months before my road bike so they only have about 6000 km on them.

I like them a lot, and they are all metal. Haven't tried servicing them. I've never serviced pedals, just replaced them. at over £30, they are much more expensive than these.

Update: I've had 3 or 4 sets of plastic pedals before these, over the first 11,000km on the folder. So the FD-7 lasting over 5000km is actually notable.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It depends how much you like the pedals, I guess. They might not be serviceable anyway.

Basic drill is usually to remove a cap from the non crank end to reveal a locknut and cone, undoing which will free one set of bearings, then withdrawing the spindle will free the others. Clean or replace balls, repack with grease, adjust cone and locknut, replace dust cap.

I'm assuming the crank attaches to a hinge which attaches to the spindle but I've not checked mine are actually like that!

The pair I've just taken off have dust caps.

I might see if the play can be taken up by adjusting the lock nut and cone - assuming that's what is under the cap.

Just a datapoint - I've got MKS FD-7 on my folder. Purchased only a few months before my road bike so they only have about 6000 km on them.

I like them a lot, and they are all metal. Haven't tried servicing them. I've never serviced pedals, just replaced them. at over £30, they are much more expensive than these.

Update: I've had 3 or 4 sets of plastic pedals before these, over the first 11,000km on the folder. So the FD-7 lasting over 5000km is actually notable.

Just had a look at the MKS pedals on the Evans website - they do look good quality.

Worth a go next time I need a pair.

https://www.evanscycles.com/mks-fd-7-folding-pedals-EV139947

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Top Bottom