following up a job application

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

mid last week (weds or thurs) I went to a local large outdoors shop that sells camping, climbing and biking equipment (some fairly good stuff tbh) asked if there were job vacancies for the summer and got handed an application form and told they will be hiring for the summer soon.

I got the application back to them the same day, am i just being anxious cos i really want the job that i haven't heard from them or is it time to start chasing up?

if chasing up (now or later) whats the best way of going about it?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Give them a phone call and ask if they're going to interview you or anyhting else? Just making contact and having some kind of a question is enough, just make sure you speak to a manager and not some herbert

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
A polite call to say you've put in an application and were just wondering what sort of timescale they are looking at for the hiring period (i.e. when will you be hearing!) should do the trick.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
When you call them ask the manager when you should next call back to get the next stage going, thus you will be ringing by appointment as it were and not being a nuisance.

frog

Absolutely nothing beats turning up in person and asking, with a pleasant smile, how you application is going. The problem with the phone is it's so impersonal. As someone working in a shop you want to show your prospective boss that you are good face to face. Even better if you buy something while you're there :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
frog said:
Absolutely nothing beats turning up in person and asking, with a pleasant smile, how you application is going. The problem with the phone is it's so impersonal. As someone working in a shop you want to show your prospective boss that you are good face to face. Even better if you buy something while you're there :biggrin:
Under no circumstances should you attempt to shoplift anything at this point in the process either :biggrin:

Melvil

Fnaar said:
Under no circumstances should you attempt to shoplift anything at this point in the process either :biggrin:

Unless it's an outdoors shop aimed at professional thieves, of course! :biggrin:;)

domtyler

Über Member
As frog has said, showing your face will leave the best impression, turn up looking smart but casual and wear a smile, if you can make them laugh you will have the job but this can backfire if you drop a right clanger! :biggrin: Talk to a manager, speaking to staff is just a waste of time.

Remember the key point is that you want to be the person that they think of when they come to make the hiring decision. A real person will make more of an impression than some voice at the end of a phone, or worse an email.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
domtyler said:
As frog has said, showing your face will leave the best impression, turn up looking smart but casual and wear a smile, if you can make them laugh you will have the job but this can backfire if you drop a right clanger! :biggrin: Talk to a manager, speaking to staff is just a waste of time.
[apologies for hijacking thread for a brief aside]
My bro was once on his way to a medical school to do a day's work as AV technician... had a swearing match (uncharacteristic of my bro) in traffic on way with a.n.other motorist, who turned out to be the guy my bro then had to report to for the day! Doh! :biggrin::biggrin:

got-to-get-fit

Its about time you told them what you think of them and their poxy shop. If a whole week has gone by i would be seriously contemplating letting stink bombs off in the shop and having a shoot in one of their tents.
They will appreciate your assertive and passionate nature and give you the job as they will assume you are a driven and goal orientated salesman.

Top Bottom