Folly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redddraggon

Blondie
On Saturday a friend has decided to cycle the route from Carlisle to Newcastle. Only thing is that he's not done much cycling - he once did 33 miles at some point in his life but this route is going to be ~80miles. He's also just bought a full bouncer BSO off Amazon for £90..........and he's planning on doing it in denim jeans :ohmy:

He's planned it all himself - he's bought the train tickets from Manchester to Carlisle and Newcastle to Manchester already, and he was planning on doing it alone.

So I've offered to go along with him - the distance and probably long hours (because of his likely) speed won't bother me. I'm worried about him having mechanical issues, or him not being able to make the distance or taking so long that I miss the last train back to Manchester.

PS Does any one have the NCN 72 cycle route as a GPS file?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A friend of mine still boasts of riding to switzerland on a bargain bike he got from woolworths.It took him about 10 days ,He said it was only the long climbs on the last few days that made it hard.His wife and family left a week after him and went by car.

He was (still is very fit ) .

I think your mates biggest problem is likely to be his rearend or tops of legs where the denim will rub.

shrew

80 miles in jeans/ a £90 bike / done not much cycling.

sounds like a recipy for skinless legs, a broken bike and a B&B half way to me.

goodluck, at the very least convince him jeans are a big no no, they are very restrictive aside from rubbing him raw.

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
I've tried to convince him to get short cheap bib shorts. Should hopefully be a good laugh though, and if I'm with him I should be able to fix any mechanical he has.

mark barker

I don't get the anti jeans thing... I've never had an issue with rubbing whilst riding in jeans, and the only time they've every caused a problem is when I've been caught in very heavy rain because they take forever to dry.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Our grandparents undertook this kind of journey on heavy steel roadsters with rod brakes, wearing tweed suits and brogues.

ASC1951

Guru
mark barker said:
I don't get the anti jeans thing...
There are better fabrics for almost every use, especially for vigorous exercise, and no advantage at all. Heavy, non-stretch and holding water like a sponge - and literally lethal at 750m in the wet, as Mountain Rescues all over the country will confirm. They aren't even cheap.

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
Well he just turned up to my place with his bike.

He'd built it himself. His fork was on backwards, his brakes didn't work and somehow he had managed to incorrectly assemble the skewer.

battered

Guru
You are going to have an adventure. A long one. Unless you are very, very lucky you are going to end up phoning a mate to rescue you or in a B&B. Have fun, and good luck.:evil:

longers

Legendary Member
redddraggon said:
Well he just turned up to my place with his bike.

He'd built it himself. His fork was on backwards, his brakes didn't work and somehow he had managed to incorrectly assemble the skewer.

Now is the time to put right any snagging that needs doing rather than on the day.

Have fun!

A friend did back to back 200k rides last year with me after having never done 100k before. He did very well but only had front suspension and not the whole hog.

gavintc

Guru
numbnuts said:
Last year the Priest from our diocese cycled down to Lourdes, his training two 10 miles rides before he set out - but the Lord was with him :evil:

Thats all right then, probably just claimed for a taxi on the House expenses.:wacko:

Top Bottom