Food after a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

I have studied the diet thing a fair bit over the last year after being diagnosed with diabetes :ohmy:

Avoid chocolate or food with a very high proportion of refined sugars if you've not eaten anything else if you can because your body will produce large amounts of insulin to bring your Blood/Glucose levels down, and you will risk going hypoglycemic with a lot of exertion.

Better to stay with slow release carbs like porridge before you set out as this will give you a steady energy supply to keep you going.

Different people react differently to different sugars in different foods (sucrose/fructose/lactose/glucose), but us diabetics are more sensitive to them as the ability to regulate blood sugar is a bit iffy.

LLB

Blonde said:
I read half an hour. Depends how seriously you are training as to whether it really matters. I am on low sugars diet (anti-Candida diet) so no refined sugars at all for me, no white, non-whole grains (most breakfast cereals), no bread and no fruit at the mo either - so no muesli. Most bought cereals and muesli contain sugar - even the 'no added sugar ones' usually have maltodextrin, malt extract or concentrated apple or other fruit juice in as a sweetener, so I can't have those. I make my own muesli using the whole oats and whole cereal flakes I like, plus seeds, as I can't have nuts or fruit. I used to find a good post-ride drink was as fruit smoothie made with yogurt and seeds for added protein, but I can't even have that now, so potatoes (or chips) seems to be may big pre,during and post-ride thing at the moment and it seems to be working! On my last 200km audax, 'Round the West Riding', at the first control they only had one thing I could eat - plain salted crisps, (other than that all they had was cakes and chocolates) so I had to live off those crisps till a late afternoon egg and chips ata greasy spoon type cafe control - I still got round in one of my best times ever for such a hilly event though!

Try the Burgen brand Linseed and Soya bread ( from Tescos/Sainsburys/Morrisons/etc)

Have you had your blood sugars tested ?

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
No I've never had them tested, it's never been a problem. But after a steady rate that was pretty much consitent the whole round, I think i got back, and had my cornflakes and they just tasted dry and horrible in my mouth, which I was a bit concerned about but at the time i thought it was just down to having done exercise, but I wasnt overly sure afterwards.

There ASDA's own brand if that would make any difference i dont think it would though, would it? There the only brand i like though, I don't like Kellogs particularly.

Its not to lose wieght or anything, just to get fitter :ohmy:

LLB

Sorry Kovu, the question was for Blonde as she mentioned a special diet to lower the risk of infection. Diabetics (or pre diabetics) are prone to all sorts of stuff as the body's mechanism for blood sugar control is a bit dodgy and this can knock on in many other areas without its own direct symptoms being a problem.

Kovu, Try eating flapjacks a few minutes before the ride - syrup for an instant hit to give you a lift and oats for slow release once you start getting into the rhythm of the ride itself !

Blonde

When I got ill in summer 2006, I at first ignored it hoping it would go away. Then in March this year I began having tests for everything known to humankind. I am not diabetic. The low blood sugar was due to Candida. Now that it has begun to clear up off and on the bike I am much better. I dont get cold, shaky, irratable, faint etc between meals anymore. I dont get jaundice and the aching joints have nearly gone.

Yesterday I did a hilly 200k in North yorkshire (including Buttertubs Pass and Tan Hill) and whilst I got round in 9 hours including stops, (this is a good time good for me) I also had much less need for food than I used to. I ate one plain baked potato at 10a.m. and a bag of crisps at 12:30, then we had fish and chips at about 6pm after having finished, changed and started off home in the car. This is a huge improvement for me.

Regarding bread: I can't eat any type of bread that contains either yeasts or any fermented grains - so only soda bread (made from whole grains) is OK, but I am not that bothered. I eat a good variety of things whilst I'm a work anyway - I eat a proper cooked meal every day at lunchtime and at home we have a cooked evening meal too. I use buckwheat noodles or make buckwheat pancakes, brown rice, potatoes, spelt pancakes, amongst other things for carbs. It is only really when on the bike that is can be hard to find things at tea rooms and cafes that I can eat, as they literally only sell sugary and yeasty foods. A good fail safe for me then is the greasy spoon type cafe or chippy. Sometimes I can only get crisps on some audax events (if you are at a cafe before lunctime they dont usually have any cooked potatoes), but this is better than nothing -though I dont actualyl like crisps much and never ate them AT ALL before I tested so massively positivley for Candida.

I know I would struggle, at the moment, to do a longer audax event as night rides/early hours riding relies on 24 hour garages and they really don't sell one thing I can eat, except, yet again, crisps. I dread to think how many packs I'd have to eat to get through, say, a 600! It always did strike me though, that doing these events makes no sense at all - during the week you are building yourself up and looking after yourself, eating good food, then on the event itself, when it is relly important to eat well, you end up eating shite as that is all that's available. I have taken some food on events before, but you cant possibly carry enough for a 600 - without it slowing you down massively and you are supposed to use the commercial controls anyway. It can't possibly be doing you any good at all though, eating this crap, and in my case it was literally making me sick! I am not sure I'd want to do any more long events in the future, because this was a wake up call to me about how the amount of stress on the body really needs to be compensated for by good food, all the time, not just five days a week, then eating junk all weekend on the ride itself, at great cost to ones health. I can't afford another year or more of illness. I find it very sad that nearly every cafe relies so heavily on bread, and/or foods that are loaded with sugar.

Blonde

Kovu said:
Hahaha funneh.

I can't even drink normal Coca Cola, I have to have diet coke :ohmy:

I can't drink even that. Not that I'd now want to, having read the ingredients - it has the same acid in it that is also used in toilet cleaner. No limescale on yer teeth then! :blush:

No caffiene for me, or artificial sweeteners either, as they both encourage the body to release any sugars stored, into the blood.

Top Bottom