Food again -Who's made...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
.......those falaffle felaffel, faffle chick pea burgers?

I had a go last night with some chickpeas I soaked overnight but my mix came out a bit dry and the darn things wouldn't form very easily. Plus the quantities of spices in the recipe didn't seem quite right. This was the one I used.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/how-to-make-falafel/

I fried mine but they absorbed a lot of oil, so I think next time I'd prefer to bake them. They didn't taste oily but....

Still tasted nice in a wrap with some sweet chilli, cucumber, spring onion and tomato. ANy better recipes or tips out there?

Packet flaffle fulaffal chick-pea burger mix works really well

I've used the Tesco one and fried them

OP
OP
C

Crackle

[QUOTE 5113599, member: 259"]I've tried baked ones and they're just not right. :sad:[/QUOTE]
Too dry aren't they. I know, that's why I fried mine. Maybe I didn't have the oil hot enough.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
The Alfez brand dry mix is pretty good, but you're oil temp has to be just right to prevent "soakage". Shallow fry small patties in rapeseed / olive mix does for me.
This recipe
is good for the homemade falafel using the dried bean, and you learn the other name for chickpea.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not made it but ate a lot of it while working in Egypt, apparently those were probably made with split fava beans not chickpeas.

Can;'t say i thought much of them but that may have been the cooking method / skill of the cook. I found them oily...can't say i'd rush back to try.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 5113608, member: 259"]Yes, but it's a fine line between having them very crispy on the outside and not yet cooked on the inside.[/QUOTE]

That's why you need to keep them nice and small - no bigger than ping-pong ball size, I reckon.

Also add some bicarb to the water when soaking them - it seems to help soften them.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Everyone says not to use tinned chickpeas as you can't form a decent ball but seeing as I couldn't anyhow, I might.

Top Bottom