Food bank donations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not an expert, but, one of the things I always try to consider is; "do the recipients have the means / knowledge to prepare/cook the donations", so, I tend to go for things which require minimal/no additions eg: bread, breakfast cereals, milk, possibly coffee / tea, jam, etc

Another consideration of course is "shelf life", recipients may not have fridge and/or power to run a fridge, so, Pasta, tinned vegetables preferable to perishable potato and vegetables.

Emanresu

I volunteer for a charity. Not a food bank but one that keeps emergency food boxes when the FB is closed. A few Xmas's ago I had someone come in for a bag. They had an emergency which meant they had no cash for a few days so was given a bag. In the bag was a chocolate Advent Calendar which someone had donated for the volunteers. We gave her that as well as the bag. She burst into tears as she had nothing to give to her kids over Xmas as money was that short.

So my vote would be something for kids, if you can find a few small treats.

PS Just seen the comment by @BoldonLad which is good advice.

OP
OP
simon the viking

I did see that advice and heeded some of it. The food bank I'm donating is a hometown charity.

I donated the contents of my late mums cupboards (loads of soups etc) the weekend after she died a couple of months ago. it really hit home how ordinary people are struggling like ourselves struggling. And having a few quid spare this weekend thought I'd do it again.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I vary my donations. Near holiday times - summer and Christmas - I'll often pick things that could be a treat for kids instead of more mundane things like tins of beans. Last week I gave one of those cereal multi packs. It's an expensive way of buying cereal but I think kids like the idea of the individual boxes.

Our local food bank were gutted that they didn't have space to take the chest freezer I offered them but I was able to give it to another charity who distribute food. It was going to be filled with donated turkeys.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thanks, I've got some jam, pasta, soups etc. wondered about coffee as wouldn't want to donate anything I wouldn't I wouldn't drink myself and a couple of jars of decent coffee would amount to a chunk of cash that would get more of the basics

People need food dignity as well, so, if you can afford it, donate things that people would want to have and not just the bare essentials. Toiletries are important too, so things like toothpaste, shampoo etc are good as these are things which are neglected when there’s not enough money for food.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

That link reminded me of some items I forgot to mention in my original post above, ie toiletries, and household items, eg (soap, shaving foam, washing up liquid, toilet rolls, etc) these items are all necessary, and, in some cases rather pricey, so, perhaps a problem for those short of cash.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
There is a Community Cupboard in this small market town. They take fresh fruit and vegetables that are close to the "use by" date. That is how it started, but it has now become a Food Bank. They get donations of food from small shops (including the chip shop).

People donate tinned food (easy to prepare and heat up) cereals, pasta etc.

You do not need to be referred from GPs, Social Service etc. It is open to everyone, but the restriction is one basket per person per day. If you need more than that, the staff are willing to help if they can. Some people take the fresh food that would otherwise be wasted and they can donate money in a secure box.

There is usually a list on their facebook page of things they would like.

Editted to add: I have just looked at their Facebook page. Most items mentionned so far, are on the list. They would also like donations of toothpaste and toothbrushes, toilet rolls, washing up liquid, baby food, nappies, and shower gel.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
A word of praise to Pret a Manger. Was in our local Prets just before 9pm, closing time. Noticed a guy just sitting there, not eating or drinking. As soon as it reached 9pm, he stood up and emptied the entire contents remaining on the shelfs into a bag and off he went, presumably to a food bank.

Gillstay

Über Member
My chum who does charity stuff with me also does food bank.

Recommends pasta, porridge oats, rice, tinned goods and stuff like tooth brushes.

Top Bottom