Food bank donations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I don't know how common it is but Lewisham foodbank states that if you donate via Tesco they pledge to top up the donation by 20%. Not much perhaps but every little helps. (Unlike Lidl, who just refused to make a donation to Crisis at Christmas in recognition of how far their service failed me the other week*. They sent me a £25 voucher instead which means the government gets £5 VAT, they take their margin, and the net amount comes to perhaps £18.

*accusation of theft, refusal to apologise by accuser, refusal to allow me to meet with my accuser so they can apologise to me, refusal to let me know the result of their management intervention, and such all round stonewalling that I was driven to email their CEO. And in that email I asked for a donation to C at C.

Sounds frustrating to say the least.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I volunteer for my local food bank.
They issue a list of stuff needed on social media and next to collection points.
If you want to gather a donation, ask your foodbank directly, because the goods required vary.
Sometimes they are short in, say, tinned goods, other times they need toiletries.
The food bank knows what cooking facilities the majority of their clients have, their wish list will reflect that.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The majority of Supermarkets give food that would otherwise be binned to a variety of food projects now. They all have their own schemes.
M and S pulled out of doing this where I live because the food was finding its way back onto the supermarket shelves. Basically some people were taking it in and demanding cash. I'm not sure what they are doing at the moment to help?
I'm sure anything you put in the donation box will be used by someone.

I recently attended a talk by a representative of the North East branch of Fare Share. M&S is one of the suppliers they collect surplus produce from.

Fare Share distribute the surplus to members of their scheme. Often that is direct to food banks but she said that they prefered to work with organisations who also have the facilities to cook food such as community cafes so that perishable produce could be used. Even better is if the receiving organisation can help the clients learn to cook for themselves - she showed a video of some men living in some sort of hostel where they were sharing their cooking skills and taking it in turn to cook stews, etc and then eating together.

tom73

Guru
I recently attended a talk by a representative of the North East branch of Fare Share. M&S is one of the suppliers they collect surplus produce from.

Fare Share distribute the surplus to members of their scheme. Often that is direct to food banks but she said that they prefered to work with organisations who also have the facilities to cook food such as community cafes so that perishable produce could be used. Even better is if the receiving organisation can help the clients learn to cook for themselves - she showed a video of some men living in some sort of hostel where they were sharing their cooking skills and taking it in turn to cook stews, etc and then eating together.

Most large retailers use fare share as the main way to donate large scale surplus. On a local level store by store surplus at end of the day they will often phone the local contact of X food bank/community kitchen. Who calls and collects it before store closers or 1st thing in the morning. Been in our local tesco's when they've phoned them.
Empowering people with skills and means to cook is often the important missing link. Some very good community kitchen projects around sadly many have or are closing due to funding and increased costs.
Talk of the North east I know of a great project supporting mens mental health based around a weekly pie club. They both learn
cooking and talk about stuff.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Talk of the North east I know of a great project supporting mens mental health based around a weekly pie club. They both learn
cooking and talk about stuff.
Yeah, I know who you mean. The same organisation does other projects to pass on cooking skills. And more skilled workshops for those of us who can afford to pay for them - I'm signed up for a fishy one in the new year.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Not an expert, but, one of the things I always try to consider is; "do the recipients have the means / knowledge to prepare/cook the donations", so, I tend to go for things which require minimal/no additions eg: bread, breakfast cereals, milk, possibly coffee / tea, jam, etc

Another consideration of course is "shelf life", recipients may not have fridge and/or power to run a fridge, so, Pasta, tinned vegetables preferable to perishable potato and vegetables.

On Saturday mornings, Mrs Slowmotion helps out at a church that provides meals and showers for homeless people. They also distribute donated food to anybody who wants it. She asked one of the clients if he would like some tins of food to take, only to be told that he had no means of cooking anything.

+1 for period products. It's one of those things that gets largely forgotten, but it's something that us girls can't do without.

If you're feeling flush, then maybe donate something that can be re-used e.g. period pants, fabric pads or a menstrual cup, as it takes the worry out of running out when cash is tight and then having to use whatever's to hand. With reusables, it's just rinse & repeat*

And speaking of that, chocolate...

* I'm speaking from the PoV of someone who's been using reusables for a good number of years.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
On Saturday mornings, Mrs Slowmotion helps out at a church that provides meals and showers for homeless people. They also distribute donated food to anybody who wants it. She asked one of the clients if he would like some tins of food to take, only to be told that he had no means of cooking anything.

Yes, similar experience here. I suppose it depends on individual circumstances, but, from my experience, I have come to believe that the problems of homelessness etc are much more complex than just handing out some food and/or cash. Plus, in some instances, those of us fortunate enough to not be in that situation, often have little or no understanding of the complexities.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yes, similar experience here. I suppose it depends on individual circumstances, but, from my experience, I have come to believe that the problems of homelessness etc are much more complex than just handing out some food and/or cash. Plus, in some instances, those of us fortunate enough to not be in that situation, often have little or no understanding of the complexities.

I agree, but....

If my donation/volunteering helps someone have a shower, a full tummy and a bit of self-respect for one day then it's worthwhile.

Yes - talking to the lady who runs the local FoodBank, they are putting a sticking plater on a wound when the wound needs stiches
but it all you have is a packet of band aid then you use what you have

Other agencies, Social Services, Churches (of all religions), shelters, refuges - are all doing other things

The bigger solution probably lies elsewhere - as does its discussion

but at the moment I - and you - can help with a couple of tines of beans - which helps - no point in stiching the wound later when they are bleeding to death now

Better to do the bit you can than do nothing

BTW - as I said I am looking at some computers for the local FoodBank - they are very old and I just need to speed them up a bit

anyone got a couple of 8GB SODIMM DDR3 memory sticks???
thanks

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Yes - talking to the lady who runs the local FoodBank, they are putting a sticking plater on a wound when the wound needs stiches

Other agencies, Social Services, Churches (of all religions), shelters, refuges - are all doing other things

but at the moment I - and you - can help with a couple of tines of beans - which helps - no point in stiching the wound later when they are bleeding to death now

BTW - as I said I am looking at some computers for the local FoodBank - they are very old and I just need to speed them up a bit

thanks

I think I have some "old" memory sticks, I am not techie enough to know exactly what they are, but, the DDR3 bit rings a bell. I will have a rummage in my office and see if I have thrown them out, or, if they are still lurking in a drawer.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

thanks

Have checked. They are DDR3 but only 1GB. There are also some 512MB, not sure if they are DDR3. They have been in my drawer for years!

Top Bottom