Food thrift - what to do with leftover roast chicken and carcass?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
certainly do, boil it up with some ginger and garlic, blob of miso paste and fresh chillies, with or without noodles, yum!

Yep Ramen /noodle soup is a favourite here. roast on sunday, cold chicken salad monday - ramen tuesday.

I also did a lovely beef ramen the other week with the bits of rare cold topside of beef in bottom of the bowl and the cooked ramen poured over so it didn't overcook and ruin the texture of the beef.

Svendo

Guru
I usually spatchcock it first if it's a whole chicken (although usually leg portions or thighs these days, less hassle, more meat per £ and easier to do variety of marinades.)
Throw the back bone in too usually. Cooks quicker, easier to keep breasts moist as its flatter, and I find the deboning and stripping bit is quicker and easier after.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've only ever used carcasses as stock; can't think of any other uses apart from composting. As others have said, strip it all down with your fingers and snap the bones up for full effect. You can get a lot of thin stock, or continue to reduce it down if you want smaler amounts of jellied concentrate. I used to freeze stock done in this way but I don't plan or have the space to do so now....until next week when we move house and hopefully I'll be a lot more prepared with such things

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No 'leftover' cheese in this house Grommet.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Handy video here on how to cut up a whole chicken to make the most of it.

https://growitcatchitcookit.com/2017/10/25/chicken-crown/

Crown goes in to roast, leg meat in the freezer for other dishes, remains get used for stock. Ten minute job.

1701294008809.png

Alex321

Veteran
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I always strip ours , refrigerate it and feed the dog it.
Chicken bones to the dog? I didn't think that was a good idea due to choking on them. A friend lost her dog through a wood splinter from sticks thrown for it. Chicken bones splinter so you could end up with the b same, slow death. The splinter got into the airways which triggered fluid production and a very slow drowning of her dog. The splinter was too far down to remove.

Sad case but she had been warned by a few of us. The risk this could happen is why we make very sure any chicken we give our dog is bone free.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
WU1049595006_01_wusthof-v202107.jpg
If you make stock reasonably frequently, it's worth getting some poultry shears for cutting the bones into short lengths so you get the marrow. They look like something straight out of Hanibal Lecter's overnight bag but they make short work of bones.

These ones are fabulously expensive but there are more affordable ones available....

Top Bottom