Food topic alert!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'd be dubious about a dressing with that much olive in it, especially as there's nothing to balance them. There's no acidity in there. You'd have to balance it by adding extra lemon to the fish, and then it gets tricky, especially as the fish is also oily. I would generally prefer something lighter and sharper for mackerel. That sounds like a good dressing for a rocket, tomato and feta salad, but YMMV.

Sam

Good, a Nay! My instincts go against it personally but the forum will decide!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

U

User482

I'd be dubious about a dressing with that much olive in it, especially as there's nothing to balance them. There's no acidity in there. You'd have to balance it by adding extra lemon to the fish, and then it gets tricky, especially as the fish is also oily. I would generally prefer something lighter and sharper for mackerel. That sounds like a good dressing for a rocket, tomato and feta salad, but YMMV.

Sam

I was about to post something similar. I've found that stewed gooseberry or rhubarb both work well - the acidity balances the oily fish very nicely. Use a very small amount of sugar to get it cooking down, and add some cider vinegar.

U

User169

Is the mackerel so fresh that if it were any fresher you'd have to spank it?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
How was it then, Rich? Sam's got a point on paper, but I've got a very high tolerance for kalamata olives and mackerel's a sturdy enough fish to handle it, I think. It does call for a generous hand with the lemon, though. Talking of punchy savoury flavours, I reckon my sandwich yesterday probably walks away with the Most Middle-class Lunch prize: houmous with salsa verde and roasted vegetables...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oooo yum, I've got humous today, unfortunately not with salsa - that sounds great, shlurp!

I've got Salsa Verde again today - I get obsessed with it every now and again and make so much I have to have it with everything for three days. Luckily it goes with pretty much everything.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I can relate to that. Got a good recipe then tc? :smile:

I don't think it requires precision. Anchovies - a few, lots if you're really hard. Capers - the more the zingier. Garlic - at least one clove, probably two, possibly even three. Dijon - a bit. Basil, Mint, Parsley - lots. Chop or whizz. Drizzle in good olive oil while mixing until you're pleased with the texture, then finish with a generous squeeze of lemon.

Then take your trifle...

Top Bottom