Food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyxBennett

How do all

Once again another question...

What do you eat to keep your self adequately fueled during very long rides ?

During 2013 I've taken part in a number of long rides 100 - 125 miles, and managed on the usual flap jack, energy drinks, gels, etc - and at the end of the above rides I was pretty much running on empty.
Now I know fitness has a lot to do with endurance, but in Aug I'm down to do a ride of just over 300 miles in 24hrs, (lots of training to do over the next few months.....) but I'm curious what people eat to keep themselves going on rides of such distances.

Just to note though - Unfortunately, due to an allergy I cannot eat bananas or products that contain banana extracts.

Many thanks in advance

Andy

To be honest .. when I do a long distance rides 80 100 +

I don't eat a great deal whilst on the bike .. I eat well through months when I Know am put the miles in spring/ summer

our body's work differently when it comes to releasing energy when exercising (bike) ... bit like a Duracell bunny !

I eat lots of pasta, chicken , fruit, Water.. in the months that I know I am out on long run weekends ..

On the morning (Early) before a ride.. pasta with two porched eggs.. 1 lt of water

And that does it for me ..:smile:

Last edited:

doug

Veteran
I haven't cycled for nearly that distance or time, but have run for 100miles which took me over 23hrs.
On top of energy bars, gels and drink what went down well were::
- mini cheddars
- mini pork pies
- sausage rolls
- cheese+ham wraps

Most of that was supplied at the aid stations, so would take a short break to grab some food and then munch it whilst walking before starting to run again. Basically I carried the sweet stuff with me but craved the savoury food at the aid stations

Will your ride be supported with aid stations ? If so look at what they will provide, otherwise look for something savoury that is compact and easy to carry.

OP
OP
A

AndyxBennett

So maybe take a bit more next time..?

Unfortunately there is (as with a lot of people) only so much sugary stuff I can handle, and I start to crave the proteins / starch's / carbs that you find in 'normal food' to replace that which I have burned off, however if I was to eat that which I crave (e.g. steak & chips) and then continued to ride, you would be able to follow where I'd been by the little piles of vomit... ha ha ha

I've got to admit though Doug, I do like the idea of pies and sausage rolls

Andy

bigjim

Legendary Member
There is a huge post going on over at the CTC site on whether Carbs or Protein should be the dominent food source.
In the past I've carb loaded before a big ride. I've since read that this is wrong as the body can't cope with all that digestion and find the energy to propel the bike as well.
Also there is an argument that protein should be the main source of energy and not carbs. I'm lost.

Seriously, you are over thinking this. Stop at a cafe and have what takes your fancy: baguette, toast-beans-and-poached-eggs, pie, ham-cheese-tomato-panini. 20 minutes and you are back on your ride, heading for dinner of steak and chips.

(I have problems eating on really long rides, literally having to spit out bread because I couldn't swallow it but that was after 1100km - 4 days - not 100 miles)

oldroadman

Veteran
Take a little from race experience of an old campaigner. Energy gels are all but useless except as a quick fix to prevent hunger knock (which if you don't recognise the term is the horrible weakness when the fuel just runs out). Try little mixed sandwiches, crusts off, cut into three and rolled like little swiss rolls. They keep OK in foil wraps. Fillings such as honey and peanut butter work OK, always take with water as it helps the food down and keeps you hydrated. It's a shame bananas are off the menu as these work really well. Personally I would not go near pies or anything like that, they are very high in fat, feel greasy, have too much vomit potential, and most important, you have no idea what is actually in the things. One thing certain, they are rubbish fuel. If you are stopping, beans on toast is excellent (carbs + protein), if you are not, try to pick up one or two chicken legs en route, a bit of protein and also a change. Cheese is of course OK, but again wrapped in bits of pitta bread or similar. Basically keep it varied and clean, plenty of water, use energy drinks and gels if you want but bear in mind they can upset your stomach under effort, despite what the suppliers claim.
Hope some of this helps, best of luck.

OP
OP
A

AndyxBennett

One idea that has been suggested - which to be honest really appeals to me - 2 / 3 egg omelette (with ham, peppers fillings) rolled up in a large wholemeal tortilla wrap cut in half then wrapped in tin foil for storage.

Andy

PS - As much as they would appeal to me, I wouldn't go down the route of pies & sausage rolls

Top Bottom