Food

which country has the best food?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Thailand tops that list for me simply because I've eaten in expensive restaurants there and bought food from street sellers and can't ever recall having had a bad meal there.

Russian definitely the worst on that short list.

Good British food is excellent but rare, but I second User482 comment that the best thing about the UK foodwise is that we have access (in London at least) to so many different cuisines. A group of us are doing an A-Z of cuisines in London restaurants, and for almost every letter the only problem is choosing between all the different options.

U

User169

I find that it's not so much countries as particular cities that have the best food.

I think that's about right. I'd go for Donostia though; sensational place to eat.

For drinking, it's got to be Pajottenland.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Can we divide Britain into its constituent Nations?

I've had some quite amazing nosh in Scotland. Arbroath Smokies.....
you only get 20 options in the poll thingy. Sorry

Agreed on the Italian breakfast. Not good. But, then again, the coffee is so good that it scarcely matters what you have with it

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know this may well offend some people, but I have always found German food to be so unimaginative and boring. Great for a short visit, but less than desirable for more than a few days.

I quite like German food, particularly Bavarian. I think I'm a simple soul at heart and the German's still treat vegetables as a side dish unlike a lot of British places where its there as the bulk of the meal with a bit of meat next to it. It was great to have loads of delicious meat to tuck into. The only downside was they don't really do lamb. :rolleyes:

And as for breakfast, the Bavarians I stayed with really took their time over it. Ham, cheese, cream cheese, cold beef, fresh bread, fresh coffee. I'm basically a cup of coffee for breakfast kind of person so it took me a while to get used to it but great way to start the day.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
One of the best restaurants I've been to was a Russian restaurant in Helsinki a few years ago (think it was Helsinki, trip was a bit of a blur). The food was wonderful and tons of it. The building itself was a labyrinth. And I just about managed to remember enough O-Level Russian on the way out to thank the staff.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Obviously it's impossible to say, even subjectively, but I've certainly had the most over-rated food (while not the worst) in France. Mexican food is pretty dire especially after they've beaten the meat (:ohmy: ) and German food was summed up perfectly by Gavin.

If we're talking about popping into a restaurant locally and not haute cuisine I'm plumping for Italy as the easiest to find something good.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Yes, but didn't they nick alll their best stuff from Turkey? ;)
that was precisely my reasoning!

Brian Sewell, who is so posh he thinks the Queen should open the door for him, reckons that there are only two cuisines - French and Turkish

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Brian Sewell, who is so posh he thinks the Queen should open the door for him, reckons that there are only two cuisines - French and Turkish

Doesn't he rate Tex-Mex then? :tongue:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I love Italian food, and really good British food which is getting harder and harder to find in restaurants as most menu's will be a mix of continental and British recipes. A really good Steak and kidney pie with a rich gravy and fresh veg is my favourite, but is hard to find.
In the old Yugoslavia, , before the civil war, now Slovinia, on one menu I saw it was offering Steak cooked in hogs grease!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I love Italian food, and really good British food which is getting harder and harder to find in restaurants as most menu's will be a mix of continental and British recipes. A really good Steak and kidney pie with a rich gravy and fresh veg is my favourite, but is hard to find.
In the old Yugoslavia, , before the civil war, now Slovinia, on one menu I saw it was offering Steak cooked in hogs grease!

Or a steak and kidney pudding, I'd kill for a really good steak and kidney pudding!!! :thumbsup:

Italian food is wonderful, though I fear the price to be paid for this is an occasionally evident smugness about them apparently having "the best food in the world" (not possible of course to say that anyone has the best) and a fear of trying anything else that can slip into sheer xenophobia.

Agree with both comments above about the wonder of Italian coffee and the rather clueless Italian breakfasts which although nice in a bar (pasta as in croissant) and a coffee are hardly going to set you up for the day, let alone a day of cycling.

Many Italians seem to start the day with biscuits from "mulino bianco" which I fear they think come from a charming white mill by a stream when it is patently obvious that they come from a dirty great factory churning out fat - a mystery why the Italians are generally so slim - self denial maybe.

I rather like German and Dutch breakfasts, at least on the evidence of the odd hotel stay

Top Bottom