FOOOD......help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Can I go slightly off your question, and suggest you need some fruit (not just sultanas) and vegetables in your diet? You can really eat a lot of them without affecting your weight much and they have much needed micronutrients. And they may be what your body is really craving.

Yes. You're right and normally I eat loads of fruit. I've had 3 apples today but I don't fancy any other fruit now.

One thing that seems to have put a lid on my cravings has been posting the question (and the raisins).

Thanks for the reply.

col

Legendary Member
I normally have a banana and or a conference pear during the day at work, but when im off anything goes at anytime.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have the same cravings...in fact i'm getting one now as I type jus thearing the word chocolate...at the moment each time i get the urge I'm drinking green tea and making myself do something different to distract my thoughts...oh and eat raisins as well....i put them in a bowl of podge with some all bran and muesli....fills a gap and makes you crap.

caimg

Über Member
Gorra interject here...

Anyone suggesting milkshakes - this isn't a good source of nutrition! You're looking for a high-protein diet with beneficial carbs for days when you'd do longer runs (pulses, wholewheat pastas etc).

You don't want anything ladened with sugar as all that's going to do us give you empty calories and spike your blood-sugar. Sure fire way to get diabetes if you plan on filling-up the hunger pangs by gulping down foods with added sugar.

Nothing wrong with nuts - they're high in protein and high in fat but contain 'good' fats, and your body needs fat for something as energy-sapping as cycling. Nuts, seeds are great for a quick and easy energy boost, as are fruits with naturally occurring sugars.

A great pre-cardio (like cycling) boost is a shake, I'm a religious protein-shake guy, oats, honey and protein powder = natural sugars, high fibre slow releasing carbs and muscle repairing protein. Epic win.

caimg

Über Member
My additional point to that was that UK food advice is screwy - alongside an active lifestyle it isn't high-fat diets we need to worry about (mediterranean diet is high fat, oils, meats, cheeses), but high SUGAR - our body simply has no use for it and it more often than not gets turned into fat. Try cutting added sugar out of your diet and you'll notice the difference...

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Loads of info here Caimg thanks. Today my friend told me she portions out some nuts before she needs to eat them and that helps her to portion them rather than going mad and overeating.
Loads of suggestions, going to have to work through and see what works for me. Just glad I didn't go mad on choc and nuts yesterday!

caimg

Über Member
No worries! I'm a fatty at heart but I'm a fitness and (occasional) nutrition freak otherwise my 5ft7 frame turns to lard;)

Advice on not wanting to scoff too much of something - just buy smaller bags / packets. When you have a big bag of nuts your brain tells you you've had enough when you finish the packet, so just size-down. Check out graze boxes too, weekly deliveries of small portion treats to fulfill those treat urges.

col

Legendary Member
Anything with 4.5 grams or fat or less per 100 grams of fat, and about a third of carbs that sugars, and you will lose , check your packets. Still have your veg and fruits, bread no butters, tinned beans ect. Anything with more than that fat content is a no no while your using this way.

caimg

Über Member
I didn't need to read much of that thread to see that it's just the MILK that 'can' benefit. It also says that it's as effective as a post-workout recovery drink - like what, lucozade? Lucozade and most others are rammed with your RDA of sugar and is absolutely no good for you anyway.

Chocolate milkshakes / milkshakes are NOT an ideal source of nutrition, sorry. Yes, milk contains good nutrition. It also contains a fair amount of sugar on its own. A milkshake contains tons more sugar as does any 'low-fat' product - hence my point about UK food advice being retarded. Everyone is happy to buy and seeks out low-fat cereals, low fat drinks, low fat snacks, without realizing that the fat content is replaced with copious amounts of sugar which is almost always MORE HARMFUL to you than fats.

Haven't you wondered why the most fit, well-built gym-goers drink protein shakes without milk (just water) pre and post-workout? Because the milk adds empty calories from the sugar that your body (by and large) can do nothing with. Though I'm not that anal, milk is milk and the sugar content in milk is never going to put me off it personally.

Anybody arguing in favour of drinking chocolate milkshakes as a viable supplement to cycling are being silly. A good, fibrous carb (whole wheat pasta / bread / porridge oats / oatbran) win every time. I'm just about to have a home-made shake of semi-skimmed milk, oatbran, peanut butter and protein powder - packed full of energy (fats, fibre, carbs), to get you through a good cycle or workout.

A recovery drink high in protein and amino acids is good.

Also dehydration can cause food cravings I believe.

Did you know sweeteners cause food cravings as well as other not nice health issues.

Have a listen to some of Ben Greenfields podcasts they are fantastic. I did listen to a podcast he did about why you get food cravings. Very informative. Have a listen it will really open your eyes about sports nutrition.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Female with "cravings" ? Are we sure they are cycling related ?

On a serious note - if had enough fruit... try carrot sticks, or celery. You can nibble away at those pretty much forever without adding pounds. Also try other kinds of nuts apart from peanuts. Brazils, hazelnuts, pecans (yum!) are all good, also things like pumpkin seeds (or so I'm told).

Top Bottom