Foot ache - Could it be this simple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbelier

Have been suffering for a while from an ache along the right edge of my right foot after starting to ride clipless with Shimano M324 pedals and Shimano MTB shoes.

Read lots of posts on this type of problem and tried through trial and error all of the following:
- moving cleats back & forward
- angling cleats
- wearing shoes tight & loose
- inserted specilaized footbeds
- tried various wedge shims

Whilst there has been some improvement, it's still there. With a planned JOGLE in September I need to sort it out.

Last night so fed up with it I rode with the right foot unclipped.

I have done this before to check my natural positioning. However, previously I was concentrating on the angle of my foot (I do angle it slightly outwards). Last night I suddenly realised :blush: that the right was sitting anywhere between 40mm and 60mm from the crank arm. This compared to the left which was clipped at about 20mm from the crank arm. In fact the right foot came off the end of the pedal a few times when climbing! I have quite wide feet.

By the end of the ride (about 35 miles) no ache down the right side anymore!

So is the solution as simple as fitting a pedal extension to the right and is this the correct solution?
I assume there is not problem just having a pedal extension on the one side (don't want to mess with the left because its perfect)?
Which pedal extension would you recommend?

As an aside it felt really strange peddling unclipped. Stopping at junctions raising the right foot to lift the pedal only to find nothing happens!

e-rider

crappy member
No, I had excatly this trouble with my left foot. It was the shoes in my case. Have you tried different shoes?

I had a similar problem - changed my shoes (but nothing else ) and the problem resolved itself in a week or two and has not returned after 6 months.

Can only suggest that you look at some top of the range Specialized MTB shoes as in my experience price does make a big difference and the road shoes at any rate have quite a wide fitting.

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

I had a similar problem - changed my shoes (but nothing else ) and the problem resolved itself in a week or two and has not returned after 6 months.

Can only suggest that you look at some top of the range Specialized MTB shoes as in my experience price does make a big difference and the road shoes at any rate have quite a wide fitting.

I was afraid of this and had a suspicion that this might be the reason. When I choose the Shimano shoes I tried on several types (but not Specialized) and these were by far the most comfortable. Also they are pretty good to walk in, another of my criteria because these will be the only shoes I take.

Looking at the Specialized shoes there a few around the £70, mark and then they jump to £100+ level. Is the the extra cost worth it, because some of the styles seem to be geared towards the racing/performance market. Remember I will be touring and am looking for comfort and durability. Luckily there is a Specialized shop near to where I work and I can try them on. My other concern is paying over £100 for shoes that feel great in the shop (as did the Shimanos) but still give me problems on the road. :unsure:

Genman

There is more than a likelyhood that your foot is naturally inclined downwards on the right side. I had the same problem and rectified it by building the right side of the shoe up, and consequently my foot, with strips of cushioned insole.
It took a while to get the thickness right but it worked a treat.
Worth a try before you splash out on different shoes.

The problem is that trying on a shoe is totally different from riding in them.

Personally I bought a good pair for £30 second hand off eBay (they are £200 new),gave them a good clean and put new inserts in.

I'm not proud! and now I know they are good I will buy new next time.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Have you tried moving the cleat sideways, so your foot is further from the crank?
There's a bit of play, but maybe not 20 mm. More like 10mm.

e-rider

crappy member
Shimano shoes are very narrow - it's probably as simple as buying wider fitting shoes!

Top Bottom