Foot and Mouth returns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a dreadful blow for the farming community. :rolleyes:

Last time there was an outbreak, I was working in an area surrounded by farms and travelling daily past mounds of burning cattle. We could smell the bonfires where we worked - being on a hill, we could see several at the same time on different farms. The whole area was blanketed with smoke for days.

All last week, taking the scenic route to work (250K in one week) I passed a small farm where the farmer was busy milking the cows each morning, and I thought how lucky we are to still have farms like this - as much a part of the countryside as the hills themselves.

Let's hope this outbreak is contained and that we don't see the scenes of 2001 repeated.

longers

Legendary Member
I agree completely. I hope that lessons were learnt from last time as something on the that scale again would be devastating for our countryside and those who work and live there. I think if it happened like that it would be curtains for quite a few farmers.

Last outbreak I got the job of disinfecting all the farm machinery and agricultural equipment that was sent out of Heysham port to Ireland. I won't be volunteering for that again.

barq

I very much hope they contain it. I'm just outside the 3km "protection zone" but within the 10km "surveillance zone". Obviously its far worse for those directly involved, but as I set off for my XC bike ride this morning thoughts of whether the countryside will soon be closed are in my mind.

Bigtallfatbloke

It's terrible...but how is making all the cows stand still going to help?

(I refer to the 100% ban on all livestock movement)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Can't be many cows/sheep/pigs in Surrey can there? Hopefully the low density of livestock means it will be easily contained.

Unless, of course, it's come in thro' the feed in which case.....................

There was a lot of evidence that the "cull" was unnecessary.

Here's hoping that the evidence is looked at properly and vaccination used in the way it could and should be?

Ring vaccination is more effective than just a "zone"!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Wasn't the cull due to mad cow disease, not foot & mouth ?
I was out the country at the time so not really up to speed.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
IF you are inclined towards conspiracy theories, there has to be some mileage in the idea that the company that manufactures the vaccine and will therefore profit from any outbreak, is the one that started the outbreak.

alecstilleyedye said:
****up more likely imho as they would have done it covertly somewhere else, not on thier own front lawn.

Makes the ploy even more devious.....

No-one will suspect them.

Keith Oates

Janner
Tim Bennet. said:
IF you are inclined towards conspiracy theories, there has to be some mileage in the idea that the company that manufactures the vaccine and will therefore profit from any outbreak, is the one that started the outbreak.

I really can't go for that one,Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Tim Bennet. said:

Hmmmph :rolleyes:
1) Buy shares in Flu Vaccine company.
2) Travel to deepest China.
3) Obtain sample of mutated flu virus.
4) Hand virus over to Al Qaeda.............

Top Bottom