Foot cramp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Was out for a quick spin today and got really bad cramp in my right foot...initially in the arch of my foot, then in the ball of it. REALLY hurt and only went away when I finished my ride and walked away. Any idea how to get rid of a cramp like that?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Were you using clipless? If so, try moving the cleats further back on the sole of your shoes.

Jane Smart

The Queen
Meant to say, when I am cycling, I sometimes need to stop, take my shoe off and just rub my foot till it goes away, then wait a few minutes until I set off again, as if I try to get my shoes on the minute it eases it comes straight back again, what a pain it is.

Bigtwin

If you're not using clips, are you using soft soled shoes like running shoes etc?

If so, you might try stiff soles which may help a lot as there is far more support for the bottom of the foot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jane Smart said:
I am cycling in trainers yes, I will look into getting a hard soled pair of shoes, thanks for that tip ;)

Do get stiff soled shoes.

Spesh do a stack of shoes that are cycling tuned, but suitable for walking about too. Don't use trainers....

potsy

Rambler
Jane Smart said:
I am cycling in trainers yes, I will look into getting a hard soled pair of shoes, thanks for that tip ;)
Got my Shimano spd's today, much better having a stiff sole than the soft running type trainer I have been using up til now,although I am still using normal flat pedals and toe clips for now.

Jane Smart

The Queen
potsy said:
Got my Shimano spd's today, much better having a stiff sole than the soft running type trainer I have been using up til now,although I am still using normal flat pedals and toe clips for now.

Sounds good, I must look into changing my footwear, especially as I am talking of doing a run with the Central Scotland lot and would hate to hold them up with cramp :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cathryn said:
Was out for a quick spin today and got really bad cramp in my right foot...initially in the arch of my foot, then in the ball of it. REALLY hurt and only went away when I finished my ride and walked away. Any idea how to get rid of a cramp like that?

I suffered with cramp more when I was pregnant I'm afraid to say ... :biggrin: I learnt to recognise that first sensation and then try and flex the foot - not the easiest of things to do when cycling.

Helly79

I use to get numb feet when i did a long ride but since I had stiffer soles and I new bike which is a smaller frame I have found it a lot better. I also had problem where my hands went numb too. After I did my 50 mile bike ride it took a few days to get the feeling back in them.

Helly79

Jane Smart said:
Helly that is interesting, I get numb feet too .. .. ..

make sure your bike is the correct size for you I had a 20" frame and I am 5 ft 2, both my hands and feet were over stretched. I now have 16" frame and is a lot more comfortable.

Top Bottom