Foot Cramp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oliglynn

Über Member
Am training for a 150km ride at the moment, and whilst off the saddle on day suffered cramp in the arch of my foot which saw me limping around for the best part of a week!

Took it easy that week, and back on the saddle this weekend it felt like both feet wanted to cramp up on a 60 mile ride. Have avoided them actually cramping, but would appreciate any advice on how to avoid and treat it (other than rubbing your feet & limping about!)

zacklaws

Guru
Apart from taking electrolytes, the best way I am finding to ward off cramp, is not to stay in the same routine too long, alter your pedalling style, cadence, try and stretch your mucsles as you ride, just break up the long periods of repetiveness.<br><br>Went out and did a 90 miler today, and the only touch of cramp I got was when I got stopped for the first time after 30 miles. The moment I unclipped and went to put my foot down my toes cramped. This was despite constantly breaking my routine, but I suppose when it comes to toes, their is not much you can do to exercise them apart for wiggle them around. <br><br>I began thinking today that when I do cramp it is always after doing something repetitive for a long time, when I used to swim a lot, I always found that I cramped at the turn as I pushed off from the side, and cycling's the same, always cramp when I do something different after a long period of repetiveness. It makes me think, that perhaps somehow your body adapts to the repetitiveness of what your doing and puts more of "something" into the body parts that are working, but in doing so, removes this "something" from somewhere else, even though it may be from the same muscle, so when it comes to stretch that bit more than it has been doing, cramp kicks in.<br><br>Well its only an idea, but as the causes of cramp are not fully known, there could always be that possibility. <br>

OP
OP
oliglynn

oliglynn

Über Member
Hmmm - this whole cramp thing sounds quite mysterious...

I use electrolytes on long rides, and try to break things up as much as poss position & cadence-wise, maybe I should try flexing my feet more during rides!??!
wacko.gif

zacklaws

Guru
I think the aim when trying to stretch and flex a body part to avoid cramp whilst you ride, is to put some load bearing on it, unless I get off and walk, toes I find I can only wiggle about.

Top Bottom