Foot pain after cycling (don’t use cleats so not related)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

so weirdly only in the afternoons after getting back from cycling like the top part of my foot always goes stiff for a couple of hours. I mostly only get this on the way back it starts during when I cycle I use flat pedals and I’ve checked the cranks aren’t bent and the pedals are on tightly. So I don’t think it’s related to my bike.I do have hypotonia but that just makes my muscle ache more easily and affects my writing sometimes. So I know it’s not related to that
Do you guys have any idea. So having moved every time I have college which has also moved well for the course I’m doing now I cycle in town which takes 45 mins max and then get the bus from town to where I get off and then a 25 min walk to college place so could it just be the sudden change from moving to sitting back to moving to sitting back to moving. But then my body should be used to thus because ive had college the last 3 years as well The weird thing is mind is I mostly get it on the way back home. But I hardly get it in the mornings and when I do it goes during college. Stretching does not help. So does anyone have any ideas? Occasionally when I click my ankle or toes that makes the pain lessen a lot more

vickster

Legendary Member
What shoes do you wear? How flexy are the soles?

Have you tried icing the foot when you get home? Or applying an anti inflammatory gel? Sounds like it might be getting inflamed, which settles with rest overnight

Have you consulted a doctor if it’s being going on a while? You don’t want it to get chronic and thus hard to resolve

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I wear like hiking shoes as they have ai lot of grips on and nope. I haven’t been to the doctor as things like my doctor are getting changed as I’ve moved to a different town and house in my county

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok and yeah I’m in U.K.
Just need to call local ones and check their lists are open to new patients

In the meantime, try ice and Voltaren gel (assuming you don’t have a medical reason not to). My guess would be tendinitis around toes/foot from overuse (is the foot a bit creaky?)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What size are your feet, what size are your pedals and what are they? It may be that the pedals are too small to support the feet (so either bigger pedals or stiffer soles may be a good idea) or it may be that the pedals have bumps in the wrong place for your feet. Can you try some other pedals or the same pedals on another bike to see if either or both or neither lessen it?

C R

Guru
As @vickster says, best check with your doctor, and you should get one as soon as possible. Do you get your feet checked regularly when you visit your clinic?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I'm beginning to think could it be that my feet are not used to with it? as since i've moved town and my college has moved town and it's too long to cycle for me. So i end up doing a 45 min cycle ride into town getting bus from town and then a 25 min walk. (So 65 mins in total of excersize) My previous commute was only 20 mins to my previous college or perhaps it's the change from being active- sitting- being active- sitting- being active etc..? i know i already mentioned it but could this be the cause?

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Yeah once a year as it's a standard thing with my diabetic clinic and i'm type 1 diabetic and it was fine last time i got checked

I thought that would be the case, just making sure. Some types of neuropathy could present similar symptoms, but you are far too young for that.

I'm beginning to think could it be that my feet are not used to with it? as since i've moved town and my college has moved town and it's too long to cycle for me. So i end up doing a 45 min cycle ride into town getting bus from town and then a 25 min walk. (So 65 mins in total of excersize) My previous commute was only 20 mins to my previous college or perhaps it's the change from being active- sitting- being active- sitting- being active etc..? i know i already mentioned it but could this be the cause?

Suddenly exercising a lot more than usual could possibly account for that. Just keep an eye, to make sure it doesn't get worse and lead to long term problems.

pjd57

Veteran
I was wearing flat MTB style shoes to cycle to work ( only an odd day now and again )
Once there , I was out walking for a couple of hours and started getting sore feet.

Solution .....take a different pair of shoes in the pannier bag.

One size doesn't fit all.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Thanks, Weird thing my saddle slipped down when i made it go a little higher. The next day i didn't get that pain anymore. So i guess it was because of my saddle height was too low. :banghead: :laugh: and also getting used to new route

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom