Foot pain - need to modify my shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsaipe

Über Member
I'm a roadie and commute every day into C London as well as doing longer rides on the w/e.

Lately, I've been getting lateral foot pain (on the left of my left foot), and put it down to my shoes / cleats setup.

I wear Shimano R087 road shoes, using Look cleats. I unclip with my left foot, and because my foot tends to wobble slightly when stepping down when stationary, I've started to develop lateral foot pain.

I don't want to change cleats as I used to use SPDs, and found the surface area too small (which ironically gave me foot pain in the middle of my foot!).

Instead, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a road-style shoe where the cleat is recessed and compatible with Look cleats?

Or, if this isn't possible, can anyone recommend a road shoe that has side supports/tread that is a bit more stable and still 'Look friendly'?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Quick question, are your feet (foot) getting cold during your commute?
I ask this because during the colder weather if I don't wear overshoes I get the same lateral pain down the outside edge of my left foot and have discovered it is caused by the cold.

I'm a roadie and commute every day into C London as well as doing longer rides on the w/e.

Lately, I've been getting lateral foot pain (on the left of my left foot), and put it down to my shoes / cleats setup.

I wear Shimano R087 road shoes, using Look cleats. I unclip with my left foot, and because my foot tends to wobble slightly when stepping down when stationary, I've started to develop lateral foot pain.

I don't want to change cleats as I used to use SPDs, and found the surface area too small (which ironically gave me foot pain in the middle of my foot!).

Instead, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a road-style shoe where the cleat is recessed and compatible with Look cleats?

Or, if this isn't possible, can anyone recommend a road shoe that has side supports/tread that is a bit more stable and still 'Look friendly'?
I had same problem with Shimanos...after trying a few options got Sidis that seemed a bit wider, problem was set me back 150 dabs.

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
Quick question, are your feet (foot) getting cold during your commute?
I ask this because during the colder weather if I don't wear overshoes I get the same lateral pain down the outside edge of my left foot and have discovered it is caused by the cold.

My foot pain actually started this summer so I'm guessing it's more shoe/cleat related.

Top Bottom