Foot pain when cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So before i had a little pain in my knees but that went away once i put my saddle height up a little but since last week I've been having a little of pain in the bottom of foot (and sometimes in ankle to but it's only my right and not my left. So )Is this to do with my bike set up?
ps i never feel it on the bike i only feel it after i get off.

Johnno260

Veteran
Have you changed shoes? or if using cleats replaced the cleats recently?

Again if you're using cleats and changed saddle position maybe cleats need adjusting as well.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Have you changed shoes? or if using cleats replaced the cleats recently?

Again if you're using cleats and changed saddle position maybe cleats need adjusting as well.
I use flat pedals not clipless pedals and my normal shoes are fine i walk around in the same shoes all the time when i need to and haven't had a problem with them and they fit. So i don't think the shoes are the problem

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Where abouts in your foot, what kind of pain, and after how many miles of riding?
like in middle of sole on the foot and the top of foot where it meets the ankle. What do you mean by what kind of pain? I said a little of pain and it seems to happen everytime after i finished cycling.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
How much padding do the shoes have ? How about you try the same ride in trainers and see if you still get the pain.

crazyjoe101

If the arch of your foot is aching it could be the muscle use required to push the ball of your foot down on the pedal, if that is the part of the foot you are riding with. If your shoes are flexible then over long distances the bottom of your foot will suffer, I had this when I used to MTB in trainers or hiking boots because the flexible sole means your foot has to do the work to keep itself rigid as you pedal. Might not be the case for you but it was for me.

NOTE: I only had this after I was using stiff cycling shoes for road and then went back to MTB with normal shoes, my feet couldn't keep up with my legs anymore but it could conceivably happen with normal riding.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

t
If the arch of your foot is aching it could be the muscle use required to push the ball of your foot down on the pedal, if that is the part of the foot you are riding with. If your shoes are flexible then over long distances the bottom of your foot will suffer, I had this when I used to MTB in trainers or hiking boots because the flexible sole means your foot has to do the work to keep itself rigid as you pedal. Might not be the case for you but it was for me.

NOTE: I only had this after I was using stiff cycling shoes for road and then went back to MTB with normal shoes, my feet couldn't keep up with my legs anymore but it could conceivably happen with normal riding.
i wear hiking shoes most of the time when i cycle

Johnno260

Veteran
When I moved to a shoe with less flex I had no foot pain, mine was in the arch on the bottom.

I got some ex display R171 shoes dirt cheap as they were ex display

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you push the pedals with the arch of your foot? If so, stop and use the ball of your forefoot instead

Also, try stretching after Cycling, calves and hamstrings. Heel hangs off a step are a good lower leg stretch

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Some anatomic insoles might help. Very expensive ones come in three different "flavours" from Specialized Body Geometry, they are good.

Top Bottom