Football chants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Maz said:
Deane and Agana were absolute Gods at Bramall Lane and saw us through to promotion to the old First Division.

Interestingly, I remember reading in the matchday programme shortly after that game with Norwich, a canaries fan wrote to the club wanting to know the lyrics to the Chip Buttie song that was sung at Carrow Rd. They printed the letter in the matchday programme.

I'm not surprised about Agana and Deane - they tore our defence to pieces that day.

I'd never heard of them.

Brian Deane obviously became a big name, but Tony Agana never seemed to kick on. I remember seeing an interview with him and he seemed very intellectual for a footballer - I don't know if you know what he's up to now?

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
mangaman said:
I'm not surprised about Agana and Deane - they tore our defence to pieces that day.

I'd never heard of them.

Brian Deane obviously became a big name, but Tony Agana never seemed to kick on. I remember seeing an interview with him and he seemed very intellectual for a footballer - I don't know if you know what he's up to now?

How perceptive. He went to university and graduated six years ago. Here's wikipedia's account

mangaman

vernon said:
How perceptive. He went to university and graduated six years ago. Here's wikipedia's account

Cool - thanks Vernon.

One of my main memories of him when Sheffield U were on the rise, was an interview he gave wearing glasses and talking in sentences. For a 1980s footballer these were amazing.

I kind of thought he'd go into football management / coaching , but going into higher education instead is even better.

I like the fact he hasn't cashed in on his few years as a reasonable player and made a career as a radio/TV pundit (like Brian Deane has, a bit although I like him as a pundit)

Maz

Guru
mangaman said:

I'd never heard of them.

Possibly the interview which was part of the BBC documentary over a few weeks called "United", broadcast around 1990. He came across as very intellectual and an accomplished musician (violin/cello? can't remember it was so long ago).

mangaman

Rhythm Thief said:
I like some of these. Football and its appeal is a closed book to me, but I think football chants are modern folk music. Much more relevant than some 200 year old song about ploughing or whatever, anyway.

You'll love "on the ball city" then RT.

As a Norwich fan, modesty has ,so far, stopped me mentionng "On the Ball City" reckoned to be the oldest football song in the world.

Still sung at every Norwich game, but archaic lyrics - as you say more like a folk song.

As you can see the words are 19th century, but the song is still sung at every Norwich game.

I have a cookery book signed by Delia, where she added a cheeky OTBC underneath, knowing I was a Norwich fan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_The_Ball,_City

AdamBlade

mangaman said:

Tony Agana is still working for the Blades. I think he has something to do with hospitality. He's always there on match days in the John Street stand.

Chip butty song has got to be one of the best football anthems going. I live about 3-4 miles from the ground and on a good day, you can hear it. It's been pretty quiet over the last couple of years except when we play against Wednesday.

Top Bottom