Football helmets????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So the FA chairman Greg Dyke has apologised to the widow of footballer Jeff Astle for the lack of an inquiry into footballing head injuries

There have been protests at West Bromwich Albion as well, with more to follow form teh Justice for Jeff campaign

Jeff Astle's death was attributed to head injuries received playing football.

So when will the first football helmets be worn, and when will they become compulsory?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Wasn't there a goalkeeper a few years ago who had to* wear some sort of head protection after cracking his skull or something?

edit.... here he is

*maybe he chose to, under medical advice.

AndyRM

XOXO
Concept_helmet_2.jpg

StuartG

slower but further
The football issue has been significantly mitigated since Jeff's day. Balls are much lighter and don't absorb water on wet pitches. Which is perhaps the way to go. Maybe cars should be built of light polystyrene. Alternatively they would be lighter still if we stripped away the bodywork, a couple of wheels and the engine ... - oh not having to pay for a tax disc might upset some.

Alun

Guru
The football issue has been significantly mitigated since Jeff's day. Balls are much lighter and don't absorb water on wet pitches.
I don't think it has! The ball isn't the problem, it's other players' heads, knees, and boots.
Fortunately the Premier League has now woken up to the fact and adopted new procedures. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28656263
It surprises me that footballers have been allowed to continue after having been knocked unconcious, whereas boxers would have no choice in the matter.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
US footballers wear hard helmets and vast amounts of body armour. This enables them it propel themselves like missiles at the opposition. It isn't surprising that their injuries tend to be a bit severe. Does "protective" clothing protect them?

broadway

Veteran
I have read that American footballers get more neck injuries due to the "protection" afford by helmets.

I found this article when looking for it http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...-and-new-helmet-could-protect-us-all?page=0,1

This is the helmet:

helmetlightbox.jpg

The article says on page 3:
"You're asking me a lot of questions that are pretty off the wall, my friend," he said. "A lot of questions I can't answer." He explained that his helmet uses a composite shell made of carbon fiber and Kevlar, plus an inner layer of adaptive foam made of Styrofoam-like beads. It performs better in a NOCSAE-style drop test than anything else on the market, he said.
Graham Murdoch
"Does it specifically address rotational acceleration?" I asked.
He laughed. "No helmet does that."
I tried a more direct approach: "Can you make claims about concussion reduction with your helmet?"
"Oh, hell no," he said, "I would never make a claim about that."

Reading through the article at least there seems an attempt to design and test for a better helmet, rather that accepting the results from a drop test..

david k

Hi
Rugby league players take around 30 (forwards) impacts per game at a suggested 30mph equivalent. How's does this differ to American football?

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

I have read that American footballers get more neck injuries due to the "protection" afford by helmets.

I found this article when looking for it http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-08/helmet-wars-and-new-helmet-could-protect-us-all?page=0,1

This is the helmet:

Reading through the article at least there seems an attempt to design and test for a better helmet, rather that accepting the results from a drop test..

Already available in cycle helmets

POC, Lazer and Scott amongst others include this in their designs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom