Football Shoes as Cycling Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redddraggon

Blondie
How do you intend to attach the cleats?

But anyway, I did 75 hilly miles on Sunday in a pair of MTB shoes that cost less than £30, so trying to convert football boots seems stupid.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
can't honestly see why you would want to do that. And can imagine that the soles would nowhere near be stiff enough.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
When you say "converting", what do you mean?
Whilst footy boots are relatively light, stiff and grippy, they're not designed to take cleats for a clipless pedal system, and if I were playing footy against you, I'd certainly not want you to have metal plates bolted to the bottom of your shoes!
Astroturf boots were favoured by early MTBers using toeclips before SPDs became ubiquitous though...

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
redddraggon said:
How do you intend to attach the cleats?

But anyway, I did 75 hilly miles on Sunday in a pair of MTB shoes that cost less than £30, so trying to convert football boots seems stupid.

I can attach the cleats same way as SPD Shoes with a bit of creativity. I thought those Football Shoes looks good compare to sub £50 MTB shoes. I tried some on last Saturday and they were as stiff as my Sidi diablo winter boots. Has anyone done this?

e-rider

crappy member
this is just silly - there is no money saving and you'll end up with a third-rate cycling shoe (at best) - what's the point?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I spose you could have a cycle out, play a game of footie then ride home again;).
If you have to cut into the sole to attach the plate you get with SPD cleats you'll get wet feet:sad:.
I remember as a kid my school shoes coming apart and they has some metal trip in them for stiffness, you'd have to cut through that as well and destroy the rigidity of the boot:wacko:.
Why not get some dhb's or LIDL shoes? LIDL shoes are less than £20. What are the ALDI shoes like when they are available?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
guitarpete247 said:
Why not get some dhb's or LIDL shoes? LIDL shoes are less than £20. What are the ALDI shoes like when they are available?
He's already bought some shoes! (PS Sorry - I see your posts were made at the same time so you didn't have the chance to read manalog's reply!)

As for ALDI/LIDL shoes... I have a pair that my sister bought me from ALDI and they are perfectly functional. They don't feel quite as comfortable as my expensive SIDI shoes and look pretty cheap but they do the trick.

I rarely ride with Look pedals/cleats any more so my SIDIs have not had much use for a couple of years. The ALDI shoes I have are SPD type - much handier when off the bike at cafes, shops, whatever.

I might put the Look pedals back on my Cannondale for shorter solo training rides when I don't tend to stop. The SIDIs do give more support to my feet and look great so it seems a shame to waste them.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
It's so annoying when you are typing in a reply, send it then see that what you said is now irrelevant as OP has already been sorted out or changed their mind or someone else has come up with a better or even the same reply before you had time to finish typing and press Submit Reply:biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
manalog said:
You lot are absolutely right this is a daft idea.Bought these today instead, I think its a bargain,
http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/Products/Lightracer_Carbon_Road_Bike_Shoe.aspx:sad:

Only a bargain if they fit. Buying shoes online is fraught with difficultly. It took me sometime to appreciate that my feet were Specialized sized. Not many other brands seem to fit. In addition, I presume you have the cleats and pedal or are you converting something else as pedals and cleats. .

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
guitarpete247 said:
It's so annoying when you are typing in a reply, send it then see that what you said is now irrelevant as OP has already been sorted out or changed their mind or someone else has come up with a better or even the same reply before you had time to finish typing and press Submit Reply:biggrin:
Youre slow by 10 seconds:biggrin:. I must have pressed submit when you were typing the last letter.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
gavintc said:
Only a bargain if they fit. Buying shoes online is fraught with difficultly. It took me sometime to appreciate that my feet were Specialized sized. Not many other brands seem to fit. In addition, I presume you have the cleats and pedal or are you converting something else as pedals and cleats. .

I have been very lucky buying online, Shimano M075, Sidi diablo even my Focus Cayo was bought online. Im not converting anything else this time as the shoes I bought are SPD SL and SPD compatible:smile:

Noodley

It's a bit late now but for future reference maybe...

Buy a pair of athletics spikes and tie some of that green flower arrangement foam stuff to your pedals....cycling and running taken care of :biggrin:

Top Bottom