Football Shoes as Cycling Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfang

Many moons ago when I was young and poor some of used the old style football boots, the ones with the moulded soles. We used to saw the studs off and smooth the surface with a surform! You could actually screw the old style shoe plates onto them. They were actually pretty indistinguishable (is that the right word?) from the real thing. I actually wore mine at Herne hill. It brings to mind the fact that a lot of cycling kit is much more easily available and cheaper (relatively) than it was years ago.

I have some grippy spd shoes, but my missus saw a roadie go by and hasn't stopped telling me that I need some shiny shoes like 'that bloke on the pretty bike' <sigh>

What is it with women and shoes?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've been thinking of going for some SPD compatible road shoes. How easy are the dhb's or Aldi's to walk in. I like the Lidl MTB shoes but think they might be a little heavy for the miles I want to do in September. I and GF's son are wanting to do this for his dad who's being treated at the Christie.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The ALDI SPD shoes are easy to walk in because the SPD cleats are recessed. You wouldn't really want to walk 10 miles in them, but they are fine for short walks e.g. for cafe/shop/toilet stops.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
HLaB said:
A word of warning manalog folk have bought similar (dual purpose spd & spd-sl) shoes and used them with SPD and found them pretty lethal for walking.

Thanks for the warning, I am aware of this as this is primarily Road Shoes. I might have to buy a 105 SPD SL as my right foot is geting numb could be to do with the SPD Cleats not spreading the load evenly.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
Goldfang said:
Many moons ago when I was young and poor some of used the old style football boots, the ones with the moulded soles. We used to saw the studs off and smooth the surface with a surform! You could actually screw the old style shoe plates onto them. They were actually pretty indistinguishable (is that the right word?) from the real thing. I actually wore mine at Herne hill. It brings to mind the fact that a lot of cycling kit is much more easily available and cheaper (relatively) than it was years ago.

This is the sort of idea I had when I saw those Football shoes I suppose people have lost their creativity these days, then again Cycling shoes have become cheaper and perhaps not worth the bother.

andyhunter

surprised no one has pointed out the obvious "PROTECTION". Todays football boots are designed to be lighter which they have compromised the structure of the football boot which results in to offer less protection. Thus why alot of footballers in todays society are prone and getting more foot related injurys.
Even if you did convert them you would would not only weaken the structure again but you would get limited or even any protection at all. If you ever crashed or came of the bike your foot can become the point of impact ;). The end results would not be appealing as a football boot was never designed for cycling and the different stresses it might encounter.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not sure how much protection a dedicated cycling shoe would give you for that matter. My Lidl SPD are pretty chunky, but I don't see them as "Protection" in a crash.

gavintc

Guru
I too started with a cheap road shoe and SPD pedals. I did not like the combination and changed over to SPD SL quite quickly. Personally, I found that the little cleat was too small a connection with the pedal. When using a SPD shoe with the cleat recessed, there is a little bit of support from the remainder of the shoe onto the pedal top.

As for protection - some, but not a great deal. It is not something I had really considered as there is no protection for the rest of the leg.

Manonabike

Über Member
How about trying cowboy boots like these ;)

2713139772_66779aff31.jpg

Top Bottom