Footer with the File Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Is there a way of telling the computer that everytime a new document is started, it should include the filepath as a Footer (as a default, in other words).

I often have to find documents that other people have started, and it is guessing game sometimes, as to where they have filed it, or what they have called it. I am sure that less time would be wasted if footers occasionnally had to be deleted, than spending time looking for documents.

It does not help when people call a document "Leaflet" with no date, no title, no subject. ;)

Carwash

Señor Member
What sorts of 'documents' are we talking about here? LaTeX, RTF, ODF, .doc ...?

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Mostly straightforward .docs like Sections of Staff manuals, guidelines for tasks, stock taking lists, etc. They are nearly all just used within the organisation, rather than sent out to customers etc.

These documents need up-dating occassionally, so I am given the current document with the amendments written on them. I would like to be able to find the original document quickly. My predecessors in this (Voluntary) post would not have realised how many variations we would have, and there are multitudinous documents with similar names, it is very time-consuming to open the document and see if it is the original of the document that I need to amend.

Night Train

Maker of Things
It really bugs me too when other people don't have a clue how to name their documents in such a way that it can be found.
I have seen desktops littered with 'Doc', 'My Doc', 'The Doc', 'Doc1', 'Doc2, etc.

jay clock

Massive member
An extra way of finding stuff is Google Desktop. It indexes the whole hard drive, including text in files. To open I hit CTRL CTRL then search for a term (eg cycling panniers ortlieb) and it returns all files and emails with those words. I use it many times a day. (that found me 5 emails by the way. Just panniers gave 57 emails and 3 files

Top Bottom