For all your hase Ket owners out there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just some advice been looking at a buying a used one,have come across one with full suspension 8 speed but no differential ! I would not use ket off road but living in Wales there are a few steep hills to climb.
So back to the thread how important is it to have one with a diff fitted,thanks for looking and your advice is appreciated.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Be nice to know what a 'Hase Ket' is or what one looks like.

The Hase Kettwiesel is one of the finest, well designed fun and competent recumbent trikes on the market

That is all...

It works fine in most cases.

It only really matters in the wet or loose surfaces when you lose grip on the drive wheel... but your riding style is equally a factor

Speak to the owner, take a test ride and decide for yourself

Or....

The suspension models are fairly new, and I suspect that a retrofit would be fairly easy

Speak to one of the dealers, and if it is a good buy, go for it and budget for the retrofit if it becomes necessary

It works fine in most cases.

It only really matters in the wet or loose surfaces when you lose grip on the drive wheel...
Or steep uphill sections when the front wheel jumps sideways due to lack of grip caused by all the weight being over or near the back wheels.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
The occasional loss of grip that can occur by not having a differential may be a small price to pay if the Kett you're interested in has suspension. Hase's other delta trike - the rarer Lepus - has suspension as standard, and the ride quality is superb. Having previously owned both an unsuspended Kett and a Lepus, I got used to pedalling more smoothly on hills / wet / gravel surfaces. If the Kett has a front rack, loading this with a pannier may reduce the risk of a "hop".

Differentials can be retrofitted. Buy the kett and upgrade it if you discover that one wheel drive doesn't cut the mustard.

Have a dealer fit it tho. It's quite an involved job.

byegad

Legendary Member
I use a single wheel drive Kettwiesel in county Durham, which has a few hills! The limiting factor is front wheel weight rather than rear grip. Too steep and the front hops sideways on every stroke.
Some examples from my usage may clarify. The trike had 2" Big apples on all wheels rear at 70psi, front at 55psi. The trike routinely has a Streamer faring fitted adding a little weight to the front wheel. The seat is fully reclined, reducing front weight.

On a bottom gear of 15" with no weight on the front wheel on a well surfaced dry road 16% gradient sees the front wheel trying to go left and some counter steering is needed.
The same conditions, but 20% gradient the front is going sideways by a lot, smooth pedaling may well get you up, but mash the pedals and you'll come to a stop. Add two lo-rider panniers to the front wheel rack with a couple of kilograms of stuff in them and it will sail up the hill.
Rough surfaces, loose surfaces or wet surfaces can all cause the front wheel to hop/slide over to the left.

The good news is if you stop it's easy to get off, pick up the front wheel and walk up the steepest part of the hill. I do this very rarely but compared to trying to push a tadpole trike which has run out of traction, dragging the kett' is a breeze.

I've had my Kett since 2008 and have had to walk a hill three or four times in many thousands of miles. Each time it was a loose surface that meant the front wheel could not be counter steered into going up rather than sideways.

Would I retro fit a differential? No, the very odd time when the trike has failed to get up a hill is not worth the substantial outlay on a dif'.

Top Bottom