For all your hase Ket owners out there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
neil earley
Thank you all for your views ,phoned Hase dealer diff is £599 plus labour to retrofit so will think on it . Going for a trial ride before I commit to buying ket. Only trike I had before was a catrike 700 so never been on a delta trike.

byegad

Legendary Member
Good plan IMHO. I went from a year on a QNT to the Kettwiesel and found I didn't trust the Kett to corner as fast as the QNT. Having the seat some 10" higher made me worry about the Kett tipping. I was wrong and you can really corner on the Kettwiesel. The tilted rear wheels make it very stable.

One word, After you've adjusted the boom to fit your leg length, make sure you adjust the rear tracking to get the wheels parallel again. It's easy enough to do it from the handbook.

OP
OP
neil earley
Speaking to our HASE technical expert this morning, he's surprised to hear of a rear sus Kett that doesn't have a diff. Can you provide a picture of its rear end?
18076965_1880061655566242_9146041017841956096_o.jpg
Pic of Trike

Thank you all for your views ,phoned Hase dealer diff is £599 plus labour to retrofit so will think on it . Going for a trial ride before I commit to buying ket. Only trike I had before was a catrike 700 so never been on a delta trike.

It is BIGGER!!

I have many years on tadpoles, but my first bike was a LWB Linear

The Kett is a more "fun" ride in some ways (you will see what I mine) and you are higher so feel a little more exposed, but not in an adverse way

The major change is at junctions where you have to stop further back as you have a longer boom out in front. Not an issue for most junctions, but on the occasional "closed junction" you find yourself edging out into the road to get the same view you would have got on the Catrike

Finally luggage

There is a front rack that will take panniers, but the rear seat has mounts for a single pannier, although I have mounted a Carradice saddle bag with no issues for day trips

The Hase luggage is massive, and there is a smaller design by Radical Design which unless you are touring is more than adequate for most things.

Think the ket is about 2 years old!

That was my query, they must have gone back to a stiffer, less adaptable seat with the suspension design

byegad

Legendary Member
is there any drawbacks with the rigid frame over the folding one
The old fixed frame had issues with rear tracking tracking, it was steel and basically you set it with a long pipe or rod stuffed down the axle hole. If you look at the AL model posted in the video above it has tensioning rods meaning you can be precise and don't have to strip the axle out whenever you want to reset it.
Because the boom slopes up, back to front, changing the length affects the effective toe-in/toe-out as the rear wheels lean in. Getting that right makes the trike easy to ride and wrong makes it drag all of the time. I spent a productive two hours setting mine up when I got it, well worth the effort in reducing tyre wear and gaining speed.

OP
OP
neil earley
The old fixed frame had issues with rear tracking tracking, it was steel and basically you set it with a long pipe or rod stuffed down the axle hole. If you look at the AL model posted in the video above it has tensioning rods meaning you can be precise and don't have to strip the axle out whenever you want to reset it.
Because the boom slopes up, back to front, changing the length affects the effective toe-in/toe-out as the rear wheels lean in. Getting that right makes the trike easy to ride and wrong makes it drag all of the time. I spent a productive two hours setting mine up when I got it, well worth the effort in reducing tyre wear and gaining speed.
Update
Couldn't get to ride it untill next weekend,found out its a alu frame non foldable

Last edited:

The tensioning rods also act as the mount for the hub gear.
On my Rohloff there two chains, one is the pedal drive, and the other drives the rear wheel from the hub

The unit slides along these tension bars and is then held in place with a tensioner (I retrofitted a second) to tension the drive chain of the hub
tricycle_couche_kettwiesel_tour_rohloff.jpg

The only real difference once set up is that you can alter the recline of the seat on the later models, but not the earlier ones

I did note on the yellow trike there is a release at the side of the seat so there may be some adjustment. The small black fitting at the rear of the frame is also the fixing for the Ortleib Hase bag.

I use standard lights mounted to the rear of the seat, but if you use the seat light fixing, reclining does affect the rear visibility by moving the light

Last edited:
Top Bottom