For Anyone Who Tells You Cycling is Too Dangerous in Today's Traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And there were FAR fewer vehicles in those days.

Does it say what are the deaths were contributed to, as that's a hell of a lot of mishaps?

That's interesting. 113 is a pretty low number if you compare it to the total cycling mileage done in the same period. I think cycling deaths are like aeroplane deaths and get proportionally more publicity than car accident deaths.

I wonder, if experimentally one day, we could for just one day, report all deaths by heart attack ( or any other single cause of death) on social media and the press. That would put cycle deaths in perspective.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I guess you are going to find most of those fatalities will be in the major cities.
London in particular i have noticed many times picking up the paper and seeing another cyclist being seriously injured or worse. :sad:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I would imagine there were a hell of a lot more people cycling in 1934, on bikes with less efficient brakes and rims, which would distort figures a tad.
A few other considerations:
  • There was no Ministry of Transport test in 1934
  • All cars would have been using drum brakes
  • A large number of those would be using the notoriously difficult to set up cable brakes
  • Many older cars would still only have two wheel brakes
  • Almost all drivers on the road at that time had not had to pass a test to get their licence (I believe 1934 was the year the driving test was introduced).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I am not overly convinced that the driving test I took quite some years ago counts for much now, other than in the obvious sense that it remains valid.
That'll depend on how seriously you take your driving I suppose. If you still drive in the safe manner you were taught in order to pass the test it's still good. If you've picked up loads of bad habits in the mean time, perhaps not.

Periodic retesting gets suggested from time to time. I wonder if any politician is brave enough to introduce it?

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Periodic retesting gets suggested from time to time. I wonder if any politician is brave enough to introduce it?

As a former ADI I've posted on this when it was raised some years back, but it would be logistically impossible and serve no useful benefit. It would be much cheaper and more effective to increase the number of traffic police on the roads.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As a former ADI I've posted on this when it was raised some years back, but it would be logistically impossible and serve no useful benefit. It would be much cheaper and more effective to increase the number of traffic police on the roads.
I agree with more traffic police, but why would periodic retesting be logistically impossible?

To add a little perspective, when we look at statistics regarding cycling deaths it is impossible to draw any meaningful data from them unless the cause of death is stated. I know for a fact that many deaths are due to heart attacks / illness with no one else involved.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's interesting. 113 is a pretty low number if you compare it to the total cycling mileage done in the same period. I think cycling deaths are like aeroplane deaths and get proportionally more publicity than car accident deaths.

I wonder, if experimentally one day, we could for just one day, report all deaths by heart attack ( or any other single cause of death) on social media and the press. That would put cycle deaths in perspective.
According to the Office for National Statistics [LINK], over 64,000 people died in England and Wales from heart disease in 2012, or 175+ a day! Ok, some of those would have been cyclists, but you can be sure that a very large percentage of those who died were not doing any form of regular exercise. So, to risk being one of 100-odd per year by cycling, or nearly double that per day by being a couch potato - hmm, tough call! :whistle:

Top Bottom