For beginners... How to set limit screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ridelover9941

I hope I can explain right how to set limit screws for beginners who don't have any experience with doing so. Here I go. Feel free to correct me I'm wrong anywhere :smile:

Step 1- Shift the chain onto the lowest chain ring in the front and on the lowest cog in the back. Then begin shifting through the gears.

Step 2-If the chain begins falling into the spokes past the highest cog (lowest gear) then tighten the L screw. If the chain begins falling into the frame past the lowest cog (highest gear) then tighten the H screw.

Step 3: If the chain does not want to make the shift to any gears, higher or lower then loosen the correct screw. You can also try loosening and tightening the barrel adjuster for the cable.

Step 4: Keep on repeating steps 1 to 3 until chain makes the shifts through all of the gears, and it does not fall into the spokes and frame.

I sure hope that's right. I've used this method of setting limit screws and it works just fine with my bike and derailleur. Hope it's a help to newcomers. Cheers!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The limit screws only work to prevent over-changing on the two outside cogs. Anything in-between is only affected by cable adjustment.

Will Spin

Über Member
You should disconnect the gear cable to set the limit screws. Make the gears shift by holding the derailleur and pushing it up by hand. Check when in the lowest gear the you can't move the derailleur so chain moves beyond the largest wheel and off into the spokes, if it does make the adjustment to the low limit as above. Similarly for the high limit only this time let the derailleur spring move the chain to the highest gear and if the chain comes off the smallest wheel make the adjustment to prevent this. Once you've done this so that the chain moves only as far as the biggest wheel and the smallest wheel you can reconnect the cable and index the gears.

rrarider

Veteran
Using expressions like "highest cog (lowest gear)" is just going to confuse beginners. Say something like "largest sprocket on rear wheel (lowest gear)" to be much clearer.

I still have a scrap of paper in my toolbox explaining which is L and which is H

boydj

Legendary Member
@raleighnut has it right. Chain off, cable disconnected, set the limit screw for the small cog by eye. Move the mech manually as close to the frame as it will go and set the limit screw for the big cog by eye which just means getting the guide pulley in line with the cog. Some minor tweaking might be required once everything is connected again, but the initial setup should get you just about there.

mustang1

Guru
You should disconnect the gear cable to set the limit screws. Make the gears shift by holding the derailleur and pushing it up by hand. Check when in the lowest gear the you can't move the derailleur so chain moves beyond the largest wheel and off into the spokes, if it does make the adjustment to the low limit as above. Similarly for the high limit only this time let the derailleur spring move the chain to the highest gear and if the chain comes off the smallest wheel make the adjustment to prevent this. Once you've done this so that the chain moves only as far as the biggest wheel and the smallest wheel you can reconnect the cable and index the gears.
+1

I still have a scrap of paper in my toolbox explaining which is L and which is H
Once upon a time there was a famous sea captain. This captain was very successful at what he did; for years he guided merchant ships all over the world. Never did stormy seas or pirates get the best of him. He was admired by his crew and fellow captains.

However, there was one thing different about this captain. Every morning he went through a strange ritual. He would lock himself in his captain’s quarters and open a small safe. In the safe was an envelope with a piece of paper inside. He would stare at the paper for a minute, then lock it back up. After, he would go about his daily duties.

For years this went on, and his crew became very curious. Was it a treasure map? Was it a letter from a long lost love? Everyone speculated about the contents of the strange envelope.

One day the captain died at sea. After laying the captain’s body to rest, the first mate led the entire crew into the captains quarters. He opened the safe, got the envolope, opened it and...

The first mate turned pale and showed the paper to the others. Four words were on the paper, two on two lines:
‘Port Left, Starboard Right’

Top Bottom