For Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

max1234

Hello,

I have a question for all Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp owners.

I am about to buy this bike (£499) but first I am interested to hear feedback on how it performs on rougher terrain.

What is the worst terrain you have taken it on and how did it do? Is it OK on gravel, grass, muddy paths etc? Any boardman horror stories where anybody has taken the bike onto a terrain where it totally struggled?

Please let me know your stories, I will be really interested. I have already read that I will need to replace the tyres at some point.

Many thanks

weely

just bought that bike 2 weeks ago and did the coast and castles (newcastle to edinburgh) last week end.

The bike coped well on all surfaces except the large gravel type but its absolutley fine on trails , cycle paths, bridal ways ect.

I love this bike - its fast , comfortable and looks sexy!

megamega

I have owned my boardman comp now since june 2008. It has been used daily on my commute to work in all the time since. The only things that i have changed in all that time are the tyres, new chain and cassette. In summer i use 28c puncture proof slick tyres and in winter 28c treaded puncture proof tyres. I have been through mud, gravel, stones etc many times without any issues. Its a real workhorse. The only punctures i have faced are from the original tyres which is why i went for puncture proof tyres.

OP
OP
M

max1234

Thanks guys. So the general verdict seems to be that the Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp will handle most basic off-road surfaces OK. So far no horror stories. I don't want to be half way through my first day with the bike and suddenly slip into a canal!

Anyone taken it on dirt paths? This isn't something I would plan to do regularly but I'm interested to see if it would handle them.

Also, are the thin tyres on the Boardman usual for a hybrid? I don't want a mountain bike but the thinness of the tyres do concern me a bit.

max1234 said:
Also, are the thin tyres on the Boardman usual for a hybrid? I don't want a mountain bike but the thinness of the tyres do concern me a bit.
You generally get two end of the hybrid scale, flat bar road bike to mtb orientated hybrids. You've probably guessed the Boardman is more orientated to the flat bar road bike end. I've got a Spesh sirrus and its orientated to that end to, there's plenty of them Marin, Giant's etc. Before I bought mine, I'd been prejudiced against narrow tyres too but IME there was nothing to be concerned about.

Top Bottom