For old people, needing very low step-thru height - Islabike Joni, Trek Verve Low Step, Raleigh Pioneer, Dawes Windermere . . . any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TenaciousDH

Have you considered something low step but with a dropper post?. I have one on my MTB and it's fantastic, I'm not sure I could ride without one now.

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Have you considered something low step but with a dropper post?. I have one on my MTB and it's fantastic, I'm not sure I could ride without one now.

Sorry, I have not been here for a while.
Yes, I started to hear about Dropper Posts too late to go into them, I have now bought a used Electra Townie on Ebay.
I am old, not elderly, have not been on a bike for 5 years, but I cannot stand my garage workshop without a two-wheeler in it.
So it's the Townie and an empty car park for a while, to find out if I am at all able to balance. ("Flat Foot Technology").
Sounds like I could add a Dropper Post to any bike?
If so, there's a neat little Raleigh Pioneer hybrid that I could buy for £249 new . . . . . . .
Many thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Trek Electra Website.jpg
    Trek Electra Website.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 7
  • StepThru1.jpg
    StepThru1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
M

Mike160304

With a dropper post, you push or pull something to drop the saddle? Extra manual step? So less likely to help you in an emergency stop, no time to activate it?
I do like the Flat Foot Technology of the Electra Townie, where I can get both my heels on the ground direct from the pedals at any time.
Of course this geometry is unsuitable for a Mountain Bike, and unsuitable for anything other than a "relaxed Cruiser".
Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

@Mike160304 how are you getting on with the Townie?

Hi Anne, I love the rear end - the Flat Foot Technology - getting my feet on the ground with my bum still secure on the saddle, but without heavy reclining position.

I love the relatively light weight, the build quality, the finish, the alloy visible everywhere, so many bikes these days look like scaffolding!

I dislike the preposterous Harley Davidson handlebars, I have replaced them with something that looks, to me, much more evocative of England. An experiment.

I am now trying to ride again, on the empty car park only, and I'll write about it all shortly, I have not yet concluded whether I shall ride on 2 wheels again or just re-sell the bike and forget about it all.

All the best,
Mike

Top Bottom