For old people, needing very low step-thru height - Islabike Joni, Trek Verve Low Step, Raleigh Pioneer, Dawes Windermere . . . any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike160304

With light weight, budget up to £500, unisex . . . possibly folding, but may not exist? I have been looking at the Carrera Intercity Disc 9 folder, but I have now found out that the step-thru height is 62 cm / 24.4" and that sounds difficult to get on and off!
Allegedly the Islabikes Joni is focussed on old age and balance problems, with very low step-thru and even a seat post that can be raised and lowered while pedalling, e.g. enabling you to get both feet flat on the ground when stopped and raising it again just after you set off again . . .?
Links:
Islabikes Joni: https://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/lightweight-step-through-joni-adult-bike
Trek Verve 1 Low Step: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/search/?text=tyrek+verve+1+equipped
Raleigh Pioneer Low Step: https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/pioneer/low-step/
Dawes Windermere Low Step: https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...w-step-womens-hybrid-bike-2022-in-blue__11209

Mike

Sharky

Guru
Don't know your particular situation, but 62cm doesn't sound that much. If it is close to your limits, leaning the bike over to one side will reduce the step thru height.

I had to do just that with my standard bike, following a fractured pelvis.

Good luck

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I ride with a chap who has had a hip replacement. He can't swing his leg over the bike any more and so leans his bike over 45 degrees ring at on, as @Sharky Says, this could be an option? Otherwise, best of luck

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

I ride with a chap who has had a hip replacement. He can't swing his leg over the bike any more and so leans his bike over 45 degrees ring at on, as @Sharky Says, this could be an option? Otherwise, best of luck

Thanks, yes, I have already started on practical workarounds. I am old and recovering from some balance problems, and my impression is that 62cm / 24.4" step-thru (Intercity Disc 9) is on my extreme limits, whereas 48cm /19" (Apollo Tuck) is kind of maybe possible, and 38cm / 15" and less is where I should really be.
The critical thing is not getting on the bike, but stopping and then getting both feet firmly on the ground, and only then stepping through, usually from right to left in UK. Leaning the bike 45 degrees creates a more unstable scene.
It is worth looking at Islabike's analysis of the problem and the ways in which they have tried to solve it, as far as practically possible.
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Don't know your particular situation, but 62cm doesn't sound that much. If it is close to your limits, leaning the bike over to one side will reduce the step thru height.

I had to do just that with my standard bike, following a fractured pelvis.

Good luck
Yes, thank you, please see my reply to UphillSlowly.
Mike

Sharky

Guru
Hi Mike, have you put a trike on your list of options? If you are having issues with balance, stopping and starting, this might be an option.

For a completely different scenario, but with similar issues, we got a tandem trike for use with our autistic daughter.

Good luck

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Thanks, yes, I have already started on practical workarounds. I am old and recovering from some balance problems, and my impression is that 62cm / 24.4" step-thru (Intercity Disc 9) is on my extreme limits, whereas 48cm /19" (Apollo Tuck) is kind of maybe possible, and 38cm / 15" and less is where I should really be.
The critical thing is not getting on the bike, but stopping and then getting both feet firmly on the ground, and only then stepping through, usually from right to left in UK. Leaning the bike 45 degrees creates a more unstable scene.
It is worth looking at Islabike's analysis of the problem and the ways in which they have tried to solve it, as far as practically possible.
Mike

Good luck with your search. To my untrained eye the step through bikes look as though they are quite upright and therefore more stable than a hybrid or racing bike?

Hopefully someone will have tried one of your shortlist or you can test ride them

I once bought an Electra townie for my dad. Interesting design in that you can have (a) both feet flat on the ground when stopping starting and (b) quite a low step height. Ignore the "ladies" designation. There is no such thing as a ladies frame really, it's just one that fits.

They are aluminium so not heavy, and there are 21 speed versions if you need low gears.

Have a look on eBay - they don't hold their values well secondhand so you might find a bargain, especially at the end of the summer. There is one that looks pretty much unused for £135.

148881_1.jpg

I have a Dahon Ciao i-7 (20" wheels) as my three most important requirements were a super-low step through, folding and fits my less-than-5ft height. I have both knee and ankle issues and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that I might have to manually (ie with my hands) lift a foot over the step-over to get 'out of' the bike.

It is sold as a 'city shopper' and 'for folding bike beginners' but I use it on the local woodland tracks, canal towpaths etc without any problem at all and a absolutely love it.

Just to add, I don't know that my Dahon is classed as 'low weight' but I'm under 5ft, over 75, and female to boot, and I hoik the thing - folded or unfolded, depending - on and off buses and trains without any undue problems. 20" wheels felt a wee bit "twitchy" at first but I soon got used to it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've just been out and measured the step through on my Elephant bike. It's about 18". The Elephants are sold out but are available second hand and they are rebadged Royal mail bikes.

Might be worth investigating. It is a sturdy, heavy bike and very much sit-up-and-beg if that's better for you.

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Hi Mike, have you put a trike on your list of options? If you are having issues with balance, stopping and starting, this might be an option.

For a completely different scenario, but with similar issues, we got a tandem trike for use with our autistic daughter.

Good luck

Thanks - It has always been 2-wheelers for me but both I and a friend in a similar situation have trikes in mind too, but only if we fail to re-master balancing on the 2-wheeler, as part of a serious exercise to try to improve our balance on feet as well, where we have both had falls. I have also been told that I should get a 3-wheel or 4-wheel mobility scooter!!! As I am 85.
The tandem trike sounds like a nice idea.

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Good luck with your search. To my untrained eye the step through bikes look as though they are quite upright and therefore more stable than a hybrid or racing bike?

Hopefully someone will have tried one of your shortlist or you can test ride them

Yes, the low step-through and the comfortable riding position belong together and one classic style ( and they do have style!) is those elegant Dutch town bkes that elderly ladies like so much on their flat terrain, where weight matters less and the bikes cruise like river cruisers.
But I want compact size and minimum weight and the Islabike Joni really appeals to me, but it would stretch the budget, but so what, I deserve the quality (LOL) and it might be my last bike.

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

I once bought an Electra townie for my dad. Interesting design in that you can have (a) both feet flat on the ground when stopping starting and (b) quite a low step height. Ignore the "ladies" designation. There is no such thing as a ladies frame really, it's just one that fits.
Thanks - Wow, I really like that, great colour too, I never buy anything black! I would like that with something like 9 speeds.
It is refreshing to hear "Ignore the "ladies" designation", I have already got crossbarless bikes on my guess list, like the Raleigh Pioneer Low Step and other similar ones.

StepThru1.jpg

They are aluminium so not heavy, and there are 21 speed versions if you need low gears.

Have a look on eBay - they don't hold their values well secondhand so you might find a bargain, especially at the end of the summer. There is one that looks pretty much unused for £135.
I shall certainly look on Ebay, I guess the Electra Townie is not macho or aggressive enough to hold a high value, which suits me fine. And it might be less of a thief target too, something that worries me about the Carrera Intercity Disc 9 folder that I have been seriously considering (Also its step-thru is too high at 24.5" / 62cm).
Thanks again,
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

I have a Dahon Ciao i-7 (20" wheels) as my three most important requirements were a super-low step through, folding and fits my less-than-5ft height. I have both knee and ankle issues and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that I might have to manually (ie with my hands) lift a foot over the step-over to get 'out of' the bike.

It is sold as a 'city shopper' and 'for folding bike beginners' but I use it on the local woodland tracks, canal towpaths etc without any problem at all and a absolutely love it.

Thanks for both messages, very detailed and helpful, and your 3 main requirements are exactly the same as mine.
You have also managed to include "folding", quite an achievement, I have found that "folding" makes the "low step" requirement more difficult to find - how high is the top of the "step", the folding hinges tend to get in the way?
I shall study the Dahon Ciao i-7 (20" wheels) very carefully.
Mike

Top Bottom